Some rather random questions about kit.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ok so i've done some searches and i can't actually find what i'm after so i'll ask and see what i get ;)

Swedish mil trangia sets. how long does the burner actually burn for if you fill it up to the marked level? (i'm assuming its marked)
i'm also trying to figure on how much meths i need for say a 3 day trip (2 nights)
also can you keep the O ring in and use the TOP of the cap (i.e. upside down) to put it out? or is it definitely remove the o-ring time?

Does anyone have the DD tarp? in the diagrams there are 3 circles along the centre line of the tarp but i can't get any decent pictures of these so i've no idea what they are?!

Does anyone own the Highlander forces 55l? can you possibly tell me if that bottom zip section is a seperate compartment or perhaps just access to the bottom of the bag?

and for fun, do you read Trail or Country walking? hehe
thanks guys and major apolly loggies for the silly nooblet post.
pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Swedish mil trangia sets. how long does the burner actually burn for if you fill it up to the marked level? (i'm assuming its marked)
i'm also trying to figure on how much meths i need for say a 3 day trip (2 nights)
also can you keep the O ring in and use the TOP of the cap (i.e. upside down) to put it out? or is it definitely remove the o-ring time?

it lasts for a long time.
theres no marked level.
its hard to say how much you need because it all depends on cooking times.
you MUST remove the O ring other whise it will melt. you cant use it upside down as it doesnt cover the holes.

this mite be usefull- http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33469&highlight=trangia
im hopeing to replace mine with the tanoka burner, its faster and lasts longer:)

pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does anyone have the DD tarp? in the diagrams there are 3 circles along the centre line of the tarp but i can't get any decent pictures of these so i've no idea what they are?!

and for fun, do you read Trail or Country walking? hehe

pete

The circles on the diagrams are just showing where the ridgeline loops are.

I used to subscribe to Trial, I`ve got about 40 copies kicking about somewhere. They`re useful for kit reviews and trail routes but obviously aimed at the walkers and campers.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere

I have one. It's really good. Those circles are just indicators for where the centre loops are for making a ridge. Good value for money and fantastic service - you won't be disappointed.

Does anyone own the Highlander forces 55l? can you possibly tell me if that bottom zip section is a seperate compartment or perhaps just access to the bottom of the bag?

I have the Forces 66. The bottom zip is both - can be used as access to the bottom of the bag or used as a separate compartment.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aha! once again proof of just how helpfull this forum is. guys thank you so much!

DD tarp will be winging its way to me, that 3x3m looks very sturdy and not a brass eyelet in sight either which i like about it.
i was considering those on bpl but the micro tarp starts at £44.99 and with all the other kit yet to be gotten thats a big outlay on a shelter material.

happy about the trangia burn times too, about 50 mins seems to be the general concensus, so that should be plenty of time for a brew and a meal easy.

the highlander i'm definitely getting, good price on the pack and has the features i want (abs most importantly i'm 6'3") plus its my favourite shade of green ;)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
it lasts for a long time.
theres no marked level.
its hard to say how much you need because it all depends on cooking times.
you MUST remove the O ring other whise it will melt. you cant use it upside down as it doesnt cover the holes.

this mite be usefull- http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33469&highlight=trangia
im hopeing to replace mine with the tanoka burner, its faster and lasts longer:)

pete

Actually, tests have shown that the civvy trangia burner is the most fuel efficient meth burner. Even if tatonka boils faster (burns hotter), you'll get more heat out of the civvy trangia per unit fuel. Can't remember the link, think I found i from some pepsi can stove guy.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
The civvi trangia burner is also smaller that the Swedish army burner.

I have both and thought they might be interchangable, but found out that the military version will not fit into the hole in the civvi trangia base.

Phill

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
As for fuel I have been hard pushed to use 1l over a weekend that said if you take too much you can gauge how much you use and know for next time. If I am cooking with meths I normally take two burners this gives the burned out one time to cool before refilling with out letting the food go cold and having to reheat it..

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
As for fuel I have been hard pushed to use 1l over a weekend that said if you take too much you can gauge how much you use and know for next time. If I am cooking with meths I normally take two burners this gives the burned out one time to cool before refilling with out letting the food go cold and having to reheat it..

ooh now thats a damn good idea!
they're what £6.00 ish? the burners?
oh worth noting i got one of the half litre safety bottles for the meths. imo very important. i don't fancy leaked meths in my kit (whoomph)

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
ooh now thats a damn good idea!
they're what £6.00 ish? the burners?
oh worth noting i got one of the half litre safety bottles for the meths. imo very important. i don't fancy leaked meths in my kit (whoomph)

Never thought to say "Get proper safety bottles" :eek: They are a must, I also have a small exped dry bag to keep the burners in just in case they leek..

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aye, i'm making an external pouch i can attach to my pack, i'm honestly thinking of adding molle loops to my highlander when i get it. shouldn't add too much weight at least and i can web on what i need.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A s to the magazines - no I dont read either...I used to write for them but quit when they wanted to have "All rights in Perpetuity throughout the universe" for the same money they were paying for First British serialisation rights.
No way buddies!

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Trangia burners:

Loose the army version, and get the civvy including simmering. You won't be disappointet.

A scouting group as a general rule, uses 1 litre of denaturated alcohol(meths) / burner / week.
Thin the meths with a bit of water to stretch it, aswell as to prevent a bit of the sooding. Experiment with wateramount. Danish denaturated alcohol will burn good with up to 15% water. Dunno what meths you use.

Yes you can. I wouldn't advise it though. Nor would i advise you to put the cap on for storage before the burner is cold.

I normally never have to put it out in the fist place, but when i do, i use the simmering. If thats been used for slowcooking, you can still just push it closed using 2 fingers and "pinching" it shut.
Unless you havent got workers-hands, that is.

I have never waited until the burner was cold, before refilling it. I can't reccommend filling it when hot tho, as the warninglabels clearly states that it is a hazard. But i have in 20 odd years never had an accident of any kind with a trangiaburner, not during cooking, nor during filling. This goes for the civvy burner only btw.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
2 refills of the stove per full meal (cook a rat-pack main meal and pudding plus use the hot water for a hot drink, then possible boil up some more water for sterile water for the morning). The burner on one fill does not last anywhere near 50mins. 15-20mins max I find.

Yes you CAN turn the lid upside down to extinguish the flame - the 'puff' of dropping the lid onto the burners always puts it out - even if it has been burning a while. No flame = little radiated heat onto the lid and therefore no damage to the o-ring - which in this case is on the other side facing up into the air. Done this for years and never needed to replace my o-rings, either on the civvy or mil versions. Sorry to contradict the very sensible advice of the others. But just my experience.

However - best practice would dictate that you ignore more advice ;)

LBL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE