Some mushroom recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
These are very common in the Czech Republic but I do not know how popular they are in the UK as I never ate these types of mushroms when I lived there.

1) Parasol mushroom
Clean mushroom and beat until flat a la schnitzel.
Dust in flour, coat in egg and then breadcrumbs.
Shallow fry for 5 minutes each side.
Eat with dry brown bread and, lots of salt sprninkled on top and no alcohol

2) Another parasol mushroom recipe
Tried this over the weekend and it was excellent. Much lighter than the recipe above.
Clean mushroom and shallow fry in very little oil with some ground cumin.
Eat on top of a piece of dry brown bread.
This would be even better with toasted brown bread rubbed with a cut clove of garlic.

3) Smazenice (for penny buns)
In a frying pan, gently saute a finely chopped onuion.
Add the cleaned and finely cut (not sliced) mushrooms. Cook for ten minutes.
In another pan, scramble some eggs.
Add the eggs to the mushrooms if you want your meal to resemble daiper poo. I prefer to keep them separate!!
Eat with dy brown bread and a sprikling of salt.

How do you eat yours?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Field mushrooms a la CalibanZwei (named for his chilli input)

Ingredients:
two field mushrooms
2 rashers of bacon
1 mild chilli
2 large slices of Gouda cheese
butter (optional)

pre-heat your oven to gas mark 4/180°c
wash and de-stalk the mushrooms then dry with a paper towel and place gill side up on a baking tray
dice the bacon and fry in a pan until crisp
finely slice the chilli
place a small knob of butter in the centre of each cap, add the sliced chilli, bacon and top with the gouda cheese
oven bake for 15 minutes until tender and serve.

Horse mushrooms or Portabello mushrooms also make a good substitute.
Pete

Aug 17, 2010
East Berlin
I live in East Germany at the moment and they warm us not to eat too many wild mushrooms due to the crap left over from Chernobyl. Is it the same in Czech Republik? If this is news to you perhaps you should check it out.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I've wanted to get out and learn how to find edible mushrooms over here in the CR. I'm looking to get some books on the subject and find a Czech friend who knows what they're doing to guide me :)

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Col - I've got Michael Jordan's 'Encyclopedia of fungi of Britain and Europe'. Super book, lots of good colour photographs but, as he states in his introduction, covers a thousand of many thousand species. Very useful but that local knowledge can't be beaten.

Before we go to the PMs with our CR discussion so as not to take the thread off topic, is there anyone else on the forum based here? Are you still here, Neil (I love my bed)?

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Thanks for the book recommendation, it looks like a monster, I'm planning on getting a pocket guide too for when I'm out and about as they're handy, I've seen a few on amazon that look good. I hear you on the local knowledge too :)

There is another user on here that that I mentioned in my PM called SBreen, he's more active on SOTP though. If there are more then that's great, the more the merrier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE