Some hammock advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
DD is designed to lie like a banana. Ok if you are medium size and like to sleep on your back. But that's previous generation of hammocks to be honest. Current trend is to lay on the diagonal which is much flatter, easier when you sleep on your side or stomach. Also if you are big there is much less trouble with shoulder squeeze. Watch videos from SHUG on youtube and you will see what diagonal lay is all about.
DD is a good quality hammock but for many people (like myself) it becomes a middle stage to diagonal hammocks. Research warbonnet, ukhammocks or even DIY gathered end hammock.
There is a third alternative (actually the latest trend), bridge hammocks...

Another answr to your question is that some brands like warbonnet, hennesy or clarke offer integrated systems with tarp tailored to the hammock which can give big weight savings and convenience.

just watched a few of his videos, hes bonkers but does good reviews. im not sold on this diagonal hammock, but the warbonnet ridge runner looks really good.

i have to say im a side sleeper and have had a comfortable nights sleep on my side in my dd frontline the few nights ive used it. i think for value you just cant beat them and not everyone is going to have £200+ to spend on just a hammock alone

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
hmm, ok, im going to have to try one out for half an hour or so. might see if there is one at the bushcraft show in may

Also try a Woodsman X, they also have a decent looking foot sag system to give a better lay. Trying either will soon show you the difference to a DD ;)

The shelf is also a really nice feature. The back/front tie-outs are also good. I don't use the front tie outs but having the back ones tied out help with stopping the hammock swing when you turn over. In the DD I was like a bloody pendulum when turning over in night lol.

cockney greg

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2014
London E17
I never realised that Bigmonster I've got a DD and a Hennessy. And wondered why I couldn't get comfortable trying to lay diagonally in the DD also I'm having trouble with my UQ feels to narrow???
Sorry to go of on a tangent. Cockney Greg if you get a chance try the different hammocks out.

:):):) Thanks for the flag up weekender.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The tw super XL is so big it'll give you a flat diagonal lay and is super cheap too. No bug net - but you can buy them as an add on later if you find you need them - so far I haven't but not been hammocking in the lakes or scotland where you may do.

So far I've had a DD travel (condensation issues) a TW grey hornet (better and bigger than the DD but heavier too and not a perfectly flat lay) - then I "downgraded" to the super XL.

£24.00
http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Hammocks/Compact-Hammocks/Green-Super-XL-Hammock-3x1.8m

Huge hammock, pack small and light. Flat lay. I've tried a hennessy deluxe and didn't find it any comfier.

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
I bought mine from ticket to the moon, their king sized are designed to sleep more then one person, there's enough material for me to lay diagonally and wrap the rest right over me and hang down the sides, it's huge. And comes in camo.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Also keep in mind that with ukhammocks/warbonnet or any other "expensive" brand you are getting complete package. My woodsman x for £120 comes with: whoopies, tree straps, toggles, bishop bag and ridgeline organizer. Add that to the dd hammock (it only comes with two lenghts of cord) and you have about the same amount of money.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
my dd hammock came with two pieces of webbing which ive removed and use their complete suspension kit for £28 and the hammock was £45 so thats £73 all in. i do think its a great setup, ive managed to have a few good nights sleep on my side in it. i know these more expensive systems are supposed to be much better but for me i cannot justify the cost. maybe if i spent 3 months of the year hanging in it i could but the 15/20 nights sleep i get in a hammock each year means spending anymore is just not justified. i can understand people needing something to have a diagonal lay but as mountianm mentioned these can be had for £24 from tw so why spend any more?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I'm only saying this to counterweight the demonizing of "big brands". Currently dd is £49 so the total is about 80 quid which makes ukhammocks/warbonet 50% more expensive and not 3-4 times like people say.

I have nothing against DD as that was my first and second hammock (also my first two tarps and a current hammock for my girlfriend). But I came to the point where I'm ready to pay an extra 40 quid for something more comfortable, lighter and with my own customisations.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm only saying this to counterweight the demonizing of "big brands". Currently dd is £49 so the total is about 80 quid which makes ukhammocks/warbonet 50% more expensive and not 3-4 times like people say.

I have nothing against DD as that was my first and second hammock (also my first two tarps and a current hammock for my girlfriend). But I came to the point where I'm ready to pay an extra 40 quid for something more comfortable, lighter and with my own customisations.

+1

Mar 26, 2011
kent
I have the super xl and its superb, all i've done to it is cut the rope off really short and knot it, i then just fitted two karabinas to avert water run and i use the rope that i cut off to go to the trees. You need every inch of the 3m tarp as its a big hammock but is a cracking set up for the money. I lay flat in it and i'm 6' tall and larger in circumference than your average racing snake. I don't see me needing anymore and i can't get on with mozzie nets i'd rather just take some jungle formula, i borrowed my mates hornet and it annoyed me so much i ended up just sleeping on it upside down.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the tenth wonder double hornet and really cant fault it for the money, rig it right and a diagonal lay is totally possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE