Some Brain Fodder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Something I have noticed recently, both on here and while aboot, is the distict "dislike" of Grey squirrels. Although there are many reasons for this "dislike" a recurring arguement is "they dont belong here". Now this for me poses an interesting ponder, if you will. Many of the people who dislike greys because they "dont belong here" are quite happy for Muntjac, Jap Sika, wild boar and beaver (though not so much on the latter) to spread around. Now I am merely stating what I have seen, not judging. So this makes me wonder, do people really dislike them beacuse the are "foreign" or because Squirrels *damage* native Reds? Because on that train of thought we should also try and exterminate all other invading species,wouldnt you? I dont know, as always I may be very wrong, and i dont really know if I agree with what Ive said, so please yours thoughts gentle folk

Sam

P.S it might turn out that none of the above makes sense, sorry

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, it makes sense, and in a way we're all incomers.........well mostly, the ice only melted 10,000 years ago and most things recolonised.

We have very few reds here, but if I look out the window along the back gardens in the morning I'm pretty sure to see four or five greys. (Is it just my imagination or are the greys becoming very rusty looking ? :confused:)

They're cute, they're clever, they're no' feart :D We rig up obstacle courses for them as we try to stop them guzzling all the bird food, they're hilarious as they scamper effortlessly up roughcast walls being chased by cats who try to follow :rolleyes: They don't take any hassle from the magpies, they turf them out, they flite and chitter when the fox trots past, they dig up my plant pots hiding their nuts :sigh:

It might be heresay, I know they're just fluffy tailed rodents, but I like them.
I'd prefer the little reds but round here they stick to the Scots Pines, so we'd rarely see them.

cheers,
Toddy

Not wishing to split hairs but wild boar and European beaver were originally indigenous to the UK, they were hunted to extinction a while back.

I think it becomes emotive when people look at the decline in native reds that can be attributed to the influx of greys. If studies were done, I'm sure there would be damage to the ecosystem due the Muntjac and Jap Sika but this would be in the form of plant damage from grazing.

People will notice the decline of a fluffy animal but probably not the lack of new growth in plant species due to overgrazing.

Personally I think all invasive species should be controlled regardless of how fluffy they are, but then I also think we should have natural apex predators back in the UK - and that is a whole different kettle of fish...... :)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The damage they do to timber along with theft of song bird eggs is not in question but, in the absence of any coherent plan for reintroduction of the red throughout this Isle, I for one would not wish to see their eradication. I say this as someone who spends more time controlling grey squirrel with a rifle than any other species which frankly says far more about the quality of sport this critter offers than the level of need.

An interesting point (take it as a proposal for ancillary debate if OK with Cael Nu Mara?) is that if the grey were not here and the red flourished in the numbers this so-called intruder has achieved, then you'll have to forgive me but for all its cuteness I'd be in the woods and taking aim at this slightly smaller target with no less enthusiasm.

Squirrel hunting is the finest sport a riflemen can have and if you want to learn more about heaven go talk to the man who shoulder's a squirrel rifle!

Long live the US impostor I say unless viewed through my vintage Redfield 4 - 12x40 with ultra-small lee dot reticle!

The other word I was looking for was balance.

Cheers

Last edited:

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Eradication is not the way to go with any of the so called 'pest species'. I agree totally, its more about balance and control more than wiping them out. Same goes for the pigeon, rabbit.

I was going to say rat, but thats another issue due to their masses I don't think we will ever see them wiped out!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Beatrix Potter has a lot to answer for... Although it's worth bearing in mind that there's a big difference between a common-or-garden alien species and an invasive species - most alien species are not invasive. It's the grey's adaptability and ability to colonise many different habitats that really makes them invasive. However, I think the boat has long since sailed, and we're just going to have to live with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE