Solar light /lantern recommendations?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My wife wants some solar lights for the garden (I'd be happy with a few hurricane lamps hung in the trees, but she wants solar ones).

She got a set from Homebase, which worked well (charged up, came on when it was dark and gave good light) but, as the batteries ran down, they started flashing rapidly for an hour or two. This seems not untypical of the behaviour of LED lights.

If they could have been turned off easily (i.e. when we came in for the night) they would have been OK, but the off switch was inside the domed cover, which meant removing the (flimsy) dome, switching off, and then replacing the cover and, again, this seems not untypical of most solar garden lights.

[I don't want to run cables down the garden, so mains lights are a no no.]

So...

...can anyone suggest any solar lights or lanterns which have an easily accessible on/off switch? I've aready searched the web, but most sites don't give a clear specification of the lamps, hence the request for personal recommendations.

Thanks

Geoff

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Check in your local stores, I had some from Wilkinson's last year and the switch is under the dome so easy to turn off, but none of them are brilliant.

Your right about the hurricane lanterns...much better option to solar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE