Solar Charger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Been thinking about a solar charger for a while and this has really good reviews so ordered one from amazon.com. Looks ideal to hang off my rucksack to charge my phone while I am hiking

Full review to follow soon
0662b3b31dc035c162cbd61c62ed1d15.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I bought a powerbank one last year for charging my devices on canoe treks (a Hiluckey one) - turns out it's about as waterproof as a paper bag :(
It also takes an age to charge up via the solar panels even in sunlight (and I mean days). It does do a good job as a powerbank however and, I guess if you were in a survival situation the solar charging would be OK.

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I bought a powerbank one last year for charging my devices on canoe treks (a Hiluckey one) - turns out it's about as waterproof as a paper bag :(
It also takes an age to charge up via the solar panels even in sunlight (and I mean days). It does do a good job as a powerbank however and, I guess if you were in a survival situation the solar charging would be OK.

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.
That's not such good news :-(

The reviews on it are quite promising but I will give it a thorough test when it arrives and write up a review on it.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
if you want something that works - so you must pay for - that means you need a large area or you wait in worst conditiontion 10h to charge your handy etc.

i use a goal zero combination venture-70 + nomad-28-plus it is ok like the lightsaver max. (but this is not waterproof) - but you have a bad sunangle on the backpack and if there is no 100% summer sun in an average case you get 1% from the theoretical max. power - that mean you need 1 week or longer (in winter) to get a full charge!

if you want a lightweight mil. grade solution than take p3 (min. 75w works with a large 100l backpack) only 800g up to 2x 125w this means over 3m^2 (nothing for your backpack) of solar power so you load you phone/ powerbank like on power socket but its over two grand

mr

Last edited:
Reactions: petrochemicals

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
OT - One of the things people have found wiht these is that if you hike through trees, these don't really recharge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE