Soft ferro rod.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've misplaced my ferro rod that I have been using for some time (really worn now!)
Was playing around with fire with some friends earlier and pulled out some ferro blanks that I have, ready for handles, but they're really quite hard on comparison, making them hard to get a decent spray of sparks, if any sparks!

So, anyone know of a source of reasonably priced ferro rods that are the softer type. I think my old one was a light my fire but unsure really as had it so long that I forget the details!! Blanks would be preferred but if handled at sensible cost then that's fine.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
unless you've got some of those dodgy Chinese ones that were doing the rounds a while back it might be that you've met Misch Metal Firesteels - I found the ones I tried needed a far harder/sharper striker to work well when compared to the Swedish ones

www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk do the Swedish ones with or without handles,

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I bought some mini ones from eBay. -Chinese obviously at £4 for six, but they strike well enough. I found I had to scrape off what I guess is an oxide layer to get them to strike. Once this is off they strike ok.

Couldnt simply be that Stew? I don't mean to insult your intelligence but you never know.

If not I've been quite happy with my Swedish army one. Big shower of good hot sparks.

Atb
Andy

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I bought some mini ones from eBay. -Chinese obviously at £4 for six, but they strike well enough. I found I had to scrape off what I guess is an oxide layer to get them to strike. Once this is off they strike ok.

Couldnt simply be that Stew? I don't mean to insult your intelligence but you never know.

If not I've been quite happy with my Swedish army one. Big shower of good hot sparks.

Atb
Andy

Not a silly suggestion. I did think the same myself but even once past the crust its tough to strike.
I ended up hunting out a really old plastic match case thast has a thin ferro rod stuck to the side and that was much easier to strike, as expected!

I'm going to pop into the bushcraft store - should do, considering I drive past it every day! I'll do a comparison of the two types, at least for my own sanity!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE