So what have you made for Christmas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I have only seen a few people sharing what they've done for Cristmas this year. Maybe some more ideas will show up in this thread? All I did was some chopping boards out of ash. It has been painful job to get them sanded the way they are and it took me the whole day to make these 5..... But they came up nice :)

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

Cheers, Andy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice!
Today I have bottles
2 1/2 bottles each of Damson Vodka, Raspberry Vodka and Blackberry Vodka and 4 1/2 bottles of Sloe Gin :)
I have also bottled 1 gallon of dandelion wine (I still have 7 gallons of various wines to do!)
Craftwise - I have been making loads of leather pouches, several bramble and bramble on willow baskets and a big serving spoon for part of my Aunties Xmas prezzie :)
I just never stop!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
From wood...

A bowl. Well, nearly. Made a mistake turning it and ripped a huge chunk out. Beyond saving.
Then another bowl. That one went well, and looked great, but the oak wasn't as dry as I thought, so it warped and split. I still have it, but it isn't present quality, as intended.
So I made a plate. Well, nearly. That turned out to have a split hidden in the wood and flew into chunks on the lathe. None came at me, luckily, but there's a nice dent in the shed ceiling now.

Gave up on that (sometimes the world tells you to give up for a while) and took the John Fenna line and made apple vodka with some foraged wild russetts, and cranberry vodka with some reduced price berries foraged from Aldi. So far, these seem to have worked.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A decorative "holder" stick for the christmas ham. Spalted applewood, basically a pointed stick with a decoration in the non-pointed end (bling for the christmas ham, basically). For pressies there is a shrink pot, some spreaders, a carved needle case, a "sock dryer" (http://deepwoods.dreamwidth.org/2520.html) that is almost done. And a small wall hung bookcase.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - not too "Bushy" ... but I made it for Xmas :)
Sculpted from Marzipan (the expensive white kind) painted with food colouring.
It is shown on its modelling base (the base of a dinner plate) but will be placed on top of the Xmas cake when the colouring is dry :)
For my tastes it is the best bit of the cake (I am not a great fan of fruitcakes of any sort - but I have this going thing for crushed nuts....)
DSCF5834.jpg

hmmm - that could of done with rotating ... and brightening abit!

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
I have made my god daughter a dream catcher for Christmas. The hoop is made of willow that was seasoned then boiled and bent round a coffee jar to get a smooth curve. This was then lashed with plied artificial sinew. The web is also made from artifical sinew. The web was decorated with a piece of drilled turquoise and 3 antique Red white heart beads. The tassles are hand cut buckskin with deer hair copper cones and more trade beads.
SL273181.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just knocked out a quick and dirty "tension tray" out of scraps of willow in the shed ... not the best looking but fit for porpoise....:)
DSCF5835.jpg

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've been busy

Turned a pen in pink ivory for a friend's daughter. Forgot to get a photos of that one!

Turned a Matroyshka doll for my Niece:

matroyshka.jpg

Made a Turks Head ring for my Mum. Yellow, white and red 9ct gold round wire 0.5mm. Six strand 15 Bight, Over 3 under 3, over 2 under 2 pattern, three repeats. I'm even happy with the soldering this time:

ring1.jpg

ring2.jpg

I was given this by Charlie, the Explorer I'm helping with an electric guitar. Table saw blade steel, shaped and beveled with an angle grinder!! Ash Scales, hand cut copper pins:

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

Finally, this one isn't going to be finished before christmas. I wasn't happy with the sea, and have broken a couple of lines in the rigging, so it doesn't look anything like as finished as this anymore. Anyway Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge:

flag.jpg

sib.jpg

Last edited:

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Hi everyone. What wonderful creations! We are resourceful, creative people aren't we?!
I've been playing with leatherwork the latter part of this year so a lot of people in my life are getting belts for Christmas tomorrow morning.
Here's som of my Christmas creations:

PC240021.jpg

I have also made a kitchen knife for my darling girlfriend, she was jealous that all the bushcraft and practical knives I make are to big for her hands and that she wanted a "pixie" sized kitchen knife.
It's wrapped up under the tree, so no photo's yet (I forgot to take some once it was finished) so after Christmas I'll be back and post some. Click HERE to check out my bushcraft knives if you want.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone! Lots of Christmas Bushcraft Cheer!
X

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Today I strained out this year's supply of sloe gin but then stoned the berries and added the chopped berry fruit to a baking tray and covered with melted dark bitter chocolate. At the time of typing, we are down to the last few pieces, as Mrs Bigfoot and her mum have taken a liking to it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE