Snugpak sleeping bags

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Right... I've got three different snugpak bags... a Merlin, a Hawk both of which I've had from new and an Elite 4 which I bought off of a member on the forum and they all have the same problem... the ruddy zip jamming for no reason!!! It can be a right frustration if I get up in the middle of the night for a pee to find the zip got stuck :tapedshut

I can accept if the was the zip snagging on some material but 99 times out of a 100 the slider just jams and I have to fiddle with it to get it working again. It's not at the same spot all the time either... the slider can work perfectly one time then jam 2 or three times the next time I go to unzip it.

Yes... I know I could solve the issue by having a pee bottle but sorry... no thanks, I've no wish to go down that route. :nono:

Does anyone else have the same problem with their snugpak bags and if you do have you been able to fix it? If you have fixed the problem please share your solution.

Alternatively, I've been thinking of replacing the zip on the bags and can anyone recommend a good supplier of long zips that are jam free?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have the same issue with my Elite3 and it really pi**es me off. Its a great bag but the zips ar carp.
I get fed up of twisting around like a demented thig trying to get both arms out so i car rag the damn zip open.

Why cant they just go back to a single centre zip like on the arctic bag. At least it worked every time.

I also have a Nanok -25 that does the same thing.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Have you tried waxing the zips Steve? This could well remedy the problem if they aren't snagging on material...I just rub a candle along zips and use them a few times, keeps them running smooth.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
If you using the expander panel they only fit the newer British made bags and you need the correct one for your bag they do 3, summer, winter and articRE expander panels.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you using the expander panel they only fit the newer British made bags and you need the correct one for your bag they do 3, summer, winter and articRE expander panels.

Yup... I use the expander panels and I've got the correct one for the hawk and merlin :)

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
my elite 2 has the expander built in but the zip gets jammed all the time but 99% of the time its the fabric getting trapped on the inside of the zip

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My Elite 4 used to catch a few times but it was always snagging the material, I learnt to run my finger along in front which seemed to cure it.

Maybe try silicone if it's jamming on the plastic

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I too have a snugpak softie in the sofite 6 kestrel flavour and to be honest I don't like anything about the design. The zip jams too easily and wish I chose a bag with a central zip like the British army issue. The only good thing about the bag is it is has decent weight/performance ration and packs down small although I never compress sleeping bags any more as I don't like loosing lofting performance, I just stuff it in the bottom of the rucksack instead.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I have a snugpak sleeper Xtreme & although it doen't have the best zip around I don't have any real problems with it other than catching on the zip baffle from time to time...... opening & closing them 'gently' & calmly as oposed to pulling & ripping them open might help......other than that, don't drink any liquids a few hours before hitting the sack..:rolleyes:

A big chunky YKK zip like those found on a PLCE bergen would be great....

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
easy solution steve, all you have to do is maintain the same kind of emaciated frame that i do then the broken zip no longer matters, you can just slither in and out without undoing it at all, simples :eek:

for a slightly more practical suggestion, have you considered getting rid of the zips altogether and replacing them with something else? velcro and/or buttons spring to mind, there's a decent sized baffle behind the zips on snugpak bags (there is on mine anyway) that should give you enough fabric to work with. i've been intending to remove the broken zip for mine and replace it with a length of wide elastic, just to give it a bit of movement to let me get in and out more easily, but it's yet another thing on the "to do" list :rolleyes:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I had an elite 3 and couldn't get on with the zip or the general size of it. The zip was catching in the material on mine but thought it was just me doing something cak handed. My nanok comfort is loads better but stil does it occasionally, though it has 2 side zips so it can be opened easier. Do prefer a centre zip on the army does bag tho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE