Snugpak Sleeka Force 35 rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I'm looking to get a backpack for overnight trips, one night normally I'd imagine, maybe two nights occasionally. Would this pack be a good choice do you think? I've never actually done an overnight camping trip without having a car handy to carry all of my gear (sad isn't it) so I've never had to worry about carrying everything in a backpack.

So is there any way to find out if that size would fit all my gear without having to buy it first? Plus, what are peoples experiences with this pack, if anyone has actually bought one.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
I'm looking to get a backpack for overnight trips, one night normally I'd imagine, maybe two nights occasionally. Would this pack be a good choice do you think? I've never actually done an overnight camping trip without having a car handy to carry all of my gear (sad isn't it) so I've never had to worry about carrying everything in a backpack.

So is there any way to find out if that size would fit all my gear without having to buy it first? Plus, what are peoples experiences with this pack, if anyone has actually bought one.
If you give us an idea of how much kit you'd expect to take for a overnighter, I might be able to help if a Sleeka Force 35 would be big enough. For the stuff I'd take (hammock, tarp, meths stove, billy, water, food) it'd probably be just big enough but it would be a squeeze and a sleeping bag would have to be carried or attached somehow.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I had a sleeka 35 and reluctantly had to sell it on.
i found the shoulder straps very hard. they are shaped and when you let them loosen off they are not very comfortable. its at it's best pulled very close to the back, this then presented another issue, it is designed with the military operator in mind and rides high above the hips, especially when you're over 6 foot in height.
i've found this with the rucksacks from snugpak, and have now sold both the sleeka and bergen even though i love the features and build quality. if they start doing long back options i'll go back to them, their other kit is faultless though, doss bags and jackets, top notch.
on the daysack idea, i have now got a osprey kestrel 38, the only drawback is a lack of zipped side pockets. the bag is outstanding, like a mini bergen and fits perfectly on the hips and shoulders, very high build quality, pricey but worth it. it will take a sleeping bag and a few essentials.
good luck

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Hmm starting to think that maybe a 40 something litre pack would be better...

I'd be carrying: DD tarp, sleeping bag, roll mat, mosquito netting, billy can(14cm), hatchet, laplander saw, U.S. army canteen, extra shirt, extra socks, wool hat, Tilley hat, gloves, knife, all the rope for guy lines and ridgeline, tent pegs, large bottle of water, food for a few meals, and.... a titanium spork to top it all off.

Might have forgot something in there but like I said I've never done this before so if you think I should add anything then go ahead and say so.
I'd be wearing the Tilley hat, the canteen also has a mug and it's all in a pouch that I could put on the pack along with the hatchet, saw(maybe), and maybe the tarp seeing as I'd be putting that up anyway. The knife would be on my belt, and the roll mat would probably get tied to the pack.

Oh and I guess a bivi bag of some sort, don't have one yet, recommendations for that welcome as well.

Rabbitsmacker, I'll take a look at that pack.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I took a look at that Osprey kestrel pack and it seems like a great pack, though now if I was getting one it would be the 48 litre version. Only problem I see with it is that it only comes in lighter kind of hiker colours instead of OD green which I'd prefer but it does look like a good pack.

I've pretty much abandoned the snugpak idea as I don't like the sound of it riding high up on my back, so now it's down to two packs unless neither one fits my needs. First is the Karrimor sabre 45 which I'm sure most people on here are familiar with, and second is the Osprey kestrel 48.

I'd imagine I could fit my gear into both of them but I have some other questions that someone can hopefull answer.

Is there anywhere I could attach a canteen using Alice clips onto the outside? Also does the Karrimor ride high up similar to the snugpak? Would the straps on the sides be able to hold a roll mat(don't really want to buy the side pockets)? Does the Karrimor have a rain cover? And finally would either of these fit someone who's 6' 2"?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

You might consider the Lowe Alpine Sting.

55 ltr main compartment and it comes with 2 PLCE style 10 ltr side pouches which form a small daysack. It has an adjustable back length which is a big plus point over the Sabre 45and it's on sale currently at Cotswold Camping...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiya, i'll have a play and see what i can get in as an optimum on the kestrel 38. i would say its an overnighter at best, very good day bag, have often thought i should have gone for the 48. i use a bergen long back for any thing longer, but highly likely to be changing to a berg vulcan. if the colours not the best you could always go for the hand camo paint job or get a drab cover.
you could opt for the old school 44 patt canteen cover with mug and bottle, the dutch forces used a good copy of this item, and australian army have a bottle pouch that can hang from a belt. just another idea they aren't as good as the current issue but are lighter than the current and crusader mug option. (mugs not as good on the open fire either as it is ali compared to the crusader stainless), you'd keep the bottle out of the bag altogether then. the american option is good also, no tunnel loop on the back of the pouch but if you know anyone good on the sewing front this could be sorted for you.

ps i'm 6'2" myself and the kestrel is a dream, they do 2 back lengths s/m or m/l i believe, go for the m/l.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I have an Eagle Industries 37L 3 Day Assault from ebay £23 :)

But im looking to change that for a Bugout Gear 3 Day Pass as very rugged and comfortable having tried one.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
back again!
in the kestrel 38 i just packed 1 army bivi bag, 1x basha, 1 x sleeping bag, 1 days rations, hobo stove and kettle with brew kit inside, candle lantern, maglite, flint striker, and other fire lighting kit,survival tin in a hip fin pocket, gloves and hat, 1 x nato water bottle and plastic mug in the lid pocket,might get that in with the crusader on as well, and room in mesh side pocket for another(or swap then round to stow other kit in top pocket and drop a bottle). 1 x folding saw, 1 x knife, with careful packing i could get a few more bits in there. some first aid maybe, or some other bits and bobs. strapped to the outside using a strap and bungee afair is the roll mat. i must add the sleeping bag is not a large one, so i think it would be fair to say the bag is better for the warmer months rough camping.
might get the smokes and hip flask in there also!
hope this helps a little,

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Thank you for that Rabbitsmacker, that helped a lot! If you can fit all of that into the 38 liter then if I got the 48, I doubt I'd have any problems.

One thing though, in your earlier post you said
you could opt for the old school 44 patt canteen cover with mug and bottle, the dutch forces used a good copy of this item, and australian army have a bottle pouch that can hang from a belt. just another idea they aren't as good as the current issue but are lighter than the current and crusader mug option. (mugs not as good on the open fire either as it is ali compared to the crusader stainless), you'd keep the bottle out of the bag altogether then. the american option is good also, no tunnel loop on the back of the pouch but if you know anyone good on the sewing front this could be sorted for you.
Are you saying the american canteen won't go onto the outside of that bag? Like is it too heavy or something? I don't actually have the issue pouch, I got THIS one. It has two alice clips on the back so all I'd need is a strap to clip it on, though it would have to be able to hold it's weight. I also got the canteen and stainless mug with it, so those are the ones I'll be using. Is there any difference between the crusader cup and the U.S. army stainless mug? I've been wondering that for a while...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiya, yeah the american system is fine, in fact i have them myself, there isn't really anywhere on the kestrel to hang it though. the mug on the US issue is smaller slightly than the crusader mug, as it slips over a smaller bottle. some later ones have to folding handles on the back that come together like butterfly wings as on nato ones, earlier examples have a flat 2 piece handle that folds underneather the mug. the crusader has a volume scale on it and is bombproof quality. got a massive following in the community, as it fits onto the superior nato flask and you can get a hexi block stove shaped to go on the bottom of that as well! fussy stuff!
the british stuff is obviously designed to be used with other british stuff, so the ration pouches fit very well in the crusader mug. you pay for it in weight though. still prefer the old 44 pattern stuff but as i said, if you plan on using the mug on open fires, you need the stailess steel. (the genuine US covers attach with the slide clips as with your pouch, which looks like a good copy.)

might be worth looking at it before you spend out on that type, plenty of other choices out there.
good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE