Snugpak fail in the New Forest and knife talk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I'm sorry but I still don't buy the sleeping near naked makes you warmer, or not the explanations for it. If the air has warmed up between your clothes and the sleeping bag then how would the cold sneak in to the gap between your skin and your clothes? Also why aren't we told to strip naked before putting on a fleece jacket or Snugpak softie tops and bottoms? I SUSPECT (as I have no more science behind why opinion than others do for theirs) that it's more to do with people getting in their bags with clothes that contain sweat or other moisture that makes them cold. Personally I alway strip to my boxers before putting on a fresh base layer and sleep in just that. But then I rarely sleep in the minus digits, so maybe I'd change my mind if I did. Still wouldn't accept the explanation though! Lol

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I'm sorry but I still don't buy the sleeping near naked makes you warmer, or not the explanations for it. If the air has warmed up between your clothes and the sleeping bag then how would the cold sneak in to the gap between your skin and your clothes? Also why aren't we told to strip naked before putting on a fleece jacket or Snugpak softie tops and bottoms? I SUSPECT (as I have no more science behind why opinion than others do for theirs) that it's more to do with people getting in their bags with clothes that contain sweat or other moisture that makes them cold. Personally I alway strip to my boxers before putting on a fresh base layer and sleep in just that. But then I rarely sleep in the minus digits, so maybe I'd change my mind if I did. Still wouldn't accept the explanation though! Lol
I'm with you. I don't get how DRY insulation makes you colder. Unless its so thick it's stopping the bag lofting.

Why doesn't the extra insulation of the bag prevent the outer insulation from working.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm with you. I don't get how DRY insulation makes you colder. Unless its so thick it's stopping the bag lofting.

Why doesn't the extra insulation of the bag prevent the outer insulation from working.

It doesn't - R (insulation) values are cumulative.

There are people who say that sleeping naked makes them warmer - but there are also people who think homeopathy works. Science says different, but unfortunately sometimes the more evidence you show someone the more they dig there heels in, belief is a powerful thing.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
It doesn't - R (insulation) values are cumulative.

There are people who say that sleeping naked makes them warmer - but there are also people who think homeopathy works. Science says different, but unfortunately sometimes the more evidence you show someone the more they dig there heels in, belief is a powerful thing.
I was thinking of homeopathy as an example, but didn't want to stir that hornet's nest.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was thinking of homeopathy as an example, but didn't want to stir that hornet's nest.

The placebo effect has been scientifically proven to work - perhaps if you believe you will be warmer, then ipso facto you will be warmer. The same goes for homeopathy. It's been scientifically debunked (if it were true every sip of water we take and every breath we take would have medicinal benefits as the molecules of water get endlessly recycled). However the fact that someone believes in it strongly may be enough to create a placebo effect.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
The placebo effect has been scientifically proven to work - perhaps if you believe you will be warmer, then ipso facto you will be warmer. The same goes for homeopathy. It's been scientifically debunked (if it were true every sip of water we take and every breath we take would have medicinal benefits as the molecules of water get endlessly recycled). However the fact that someone believes in it strongly may be enough to create a placebo effect.
The water forgets all the excrement that has been in it though.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Surface area does not increase as quickly as volume - cold climates favour larger-bodied animals.

When I get in a sleeping back, the bag loosely sags all around me, I bet down bags 'snuggle' around a person even more. So there aren't really any gaps. Legs next to one-another have less 'outside' surface area than legs that are separated (if you discount the part of each leg that is in contact with the other leg).

Stick those legs in some loose trousers and suddenly that benefit is lost.

I think it is entirely possible that wearing bulky clothing within a sleeping back increases heat loss from your limbs.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Surface area does not increase as quickly as volume - cold climates favour larger-bodied animals.

When I get in a sleeping back, the bag loosely sags all around me, I bet down bags 'snuggle' around a person even more. So there aren't really any gaps. Legs next to one-another have less 'outside' surface area than legs that are separated (if you discount the part of each leg that is in contact with the other leg).

Stick those legs in some loose trousers and suddenly that benefit is lost.

I think it is entirely possible that wearing bulky clothing within a sleeping back increases heat loss from your limbs.

Nope, your body is the source of heat in the bag, adding any barrier stops that heat escaping. The smaller the space to heat the quicker it will heat up - the only caveat to this is if you were wearing clothing that conduct heat away from you and out of the bag - a metal suit attached to an external heat sink.

Place a electric heater in a small room, and place an electric heater in a big room. Which room feels warmest quicker? The clothes create a smaller "gap" which heats up first. trapping the warm air against your body.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
interesting thread, The first night of a family Glamping/camping trip, it was a stormy cold & very windy summers night in Scotland, the 3 toasty sleeping pods had our 3 kids in, my wife & I were in the drafty center part of our family tent which has no fitted ground sheet, at night it got cold but not any where near freezing... even with 2 trangia 25 s running on gas going full tilt, (The placebo effect) I't was too cold to sleep well that night on an air bed in a crappy sleeping bag.

With my kids growing up fast pretty soon it won't be cool to go glamping with Mum & Dad any more so I'm putting together a solo/+1 camping/hiking kit at present I have purchased Army DPM camo Z Force folding sleeping mat, not had a chance to try/test out So getting back to topic sleeping bag I need a reasonably priced warm one, I don't expect to be experiencing sub zero temperatures just typical Scottish summer its bloody cold temperatures there is probably a separate thread for which sleep system.... this thread IMO so far seems to favor the snug pack, & forgive my ignorance asking how does one properly store ones bag to diminish loft loss.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
so basically unpacked, like the self inflating mattresses then, I bought one recently but sent it back as I hadn't realized it was 3/4 length which was too short even for me at 5' 4" & got the same response when I also complained it didn't inflate much... cheers

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
Climb into your sac when badly chilled and it will take you forever to warm up, clothed or not. On the other hand if you clamber into yer pit when tolerably warm and lightly clothed then you will lose a lot of heat to your sleeping bag initially, but that heat serves to loft the insulation faster and so the ol' sac gets to feeling toasty warm that much quicker. Climbing into your sac chilled with no insulation to lay on practically guarantees a miserable night. Bedding down before you go slightly hypothermic is a good option if conditions permit.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Climb into your sac when badly chilled and it will take you forever to warm up, clothed or not. On the other hand if you clamber into yer pit when tolerably warm and lightly clothed then you will lose a lot of heat to your sleeping bag initially, but that heat serves to loft the insulation faster and so the ol' sac gets to feeling toasty warm that much quicker. Climbing into your sac chilled with no insulation to lay on practically guarantees a miserable night. Bedding down before you go slightly hypothermic is a good option if conditions permit.

Climb into your pit with a hot water bottle (or two) and you'll be almost guaranteed a lovely cozy night's sleep. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE