Snowy Cotswolds (pic heavy)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Took advantage of my bonus day off thanks to the snow and had a stroll through the woods on the Cotswold escarpment near where I live:

On the way up the hill:
snowoak.jpg

The path into the woods:
snowpathp.jpg

Saw this - obviously recent as the bark chippings are on top of the snow - any suggestions as to what caused it? There were no discernible tracks around:
snowwhat.jpg

Beech on the top of Kite's Hill:
snowbeech.jpg

In many places no-one had disturbed the snow:
snowwood1.jpg

Nice spot for lunch on an old dry stone wall:
snowlunch1.jpg

Lovely sight on a cold day: (Corned beef and pickle sarnies with hot chocolate for lunch - magic!)
snowbuddy.jpg

Gorgeous old cedar on the way back down:
snowcedar.jpg

Saw some roe deer as well but much too fast for me to get the camera out.

All in all, a cracking day.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Great shots - thanks for sharing!

EDIT - Can't help with Pic.3, although the shape of the marks suggests a set a front paws having a go - what though? Hmm :confused:

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
beutiful pictures, thanks for sharing. As for the marks, maybe deer that is cleaning his antlers (cleaning as in removing the fur like skin that covers it during growth)? Probably not though..

ATB

Mike

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
I would say that the bark damage was caused by a deer and at that height probably one of those bloody nuisance muntjac that are doing so much damage to our native woodlands.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Great day out.
Is the cookset one of the litech ones and if so what do you reckon to it?

The cookset is a snow peak (appropriate?) 0.7 litre titanium pot and the stove is a bushbuddy. The bushbuddy fits perfectly inside the pot with space for some tinder (birch bark usually, or a bit of tindercard) and a firesteel. it's a set-up that I have been using for the last three years or so and it's great. I sometimes put a Whitebox stove inside the bushbuddy if I am somewhere where I can't find firewood. (Though this is rare as it uses so little.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE