Snowholes ..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've always fancied sleeping in a snowhole, but, alas, never had enought snow to make one!

Anyone made one and slept in one? Where? What's it like? Did you worry that the whole thing would caving in? :shock:

Thanks! :-D

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Adi007 said:
I've always fancied sleeping in a snowhole, but, alas, never had enought snow to make one!

Anyone made one and slept in one?

> Yes.

Where?

> Northern Ohio. It was due to go to -15 C that night and there was plenty of snow - perhaps 80 CM's with drifts to 2 meters.

What's it like?

> It was warmer than outside because it got us out of the wind, but it was quite damp. Perhaps it was not cold enough.

Did you worry that the whole thing would caving in?

> The roof was not all that thick and we used branches as a framework. We didn't think it was much of a risk. The next time we tried it, we built snow walls about 1.5 meters high and used a tarp (with brush on top) for a roof in aid of less dampness, but that also reduced risk of roof collapse (not that we thought of it).

Thanks! :-D

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i did snowholes in northern norway, big enough to get 5 blokes in it, the candle kept it just above freezing and it was snug, wasnt boiling though, you have to have a candle sentry cos if it goes out chances are there is no air so you could be killed also you have to have a ski stick or something poked through the roof to keep an air flow coming in,the roof can sometimes drop down but didnt in ours but i`ve heard stories of people waking up to see a roof 2 inches above their faces, my instuctor had a brilliant story about about the time he survived a slab avalanche in his snow hole, he was woken up by being bounced all over the hole,when he got out of the still intact hole he realised they had moved over 500 meters down the mountain

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
al said:
i did snowholes in northern norway, big enough to get 5 blokes in it, the candle kept it just above freezing and it was snug, wasnt boiling though, you have to have a candle sentry cos if it goes out chances are there is no air so you could be killed also you have to have a ski stick or something poked through the roof to keep an air flow coming in,the roof can sometimes drop down but didnt in ours but i`ve heard stories of people waking up to see a roof 2 inches above their faces, my instuctor had a brilliant story about about the time he survived a slab avalanche in his snow hole, he was woken up by being bounced all over the hole,when he got out of the still intact hole he realised they had moved over 500 meters down the mountain
Yikes! :yikes: Makes me very glad there's only ever a dusting of snow here! :wink:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
alright paul, no i wasnt , i spent 3 months there on a winter deployment when i was a marine, we used arctic roll mats (one side is white) and sleeping bags and bivvy bags although some just used bivvy bags and nothing else,depended on the instructor and what sort of mood they were in as they are well known to make life awkward at times,it is very important to build a cold trench though as the difference is big,we had a long tunnel to get in and out,cheers al :-D

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Did five days in Scotland, livivng in a snowhole in a corrie on the back of Liatach(?) Torridon.
The morning drill was get a brew on, then scrape the ceiling back to the level it was the night before! (not like that nice Norgy snow)
Neil1

F

FJS90-91

Here in Sweden we often get allot of snow so sometimes we prefer to make igloos while winter fishing and stuff.. So i slept allot in snow caves, never worried about them caving in..

In the Military artic survival training we tried all kinds of bivacks(is that an English word?) from solo snow hole to group igloos..

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I've always said that if we had enough snow I'd do it, but looking at that photo I think I'm probably a little too claustrophic! (gave me the shivers just looking at it. :shock: Ive been known to claw myself out of a basha in panic because was too close above my face and it's gotta be damn cold before i'll pull in the drawstring on my bivvi!)

Many thanks for posting the pics, Paul! :-D

M

max

I agree with you Kath - I slepted in snow holes, caves , shelters and even a hotel made from ice and the shivers just returned, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -
those pics are great, jungle pics also - They do some good stuff what I would expect from a top class outfit.

Maxmountains

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Guess what tonights Tracks was on!

That's right - snow holes! (Well the first half, at least)

I would like to see Ray make himself a snow grave when the weather really does turn bad. He seemed to be struggling a bit in nice weather!

P

Paulmac

Hi Kath - don't mention it

I wish I could take credit for the pictures but i can't - i follow most company websites and this one allways has an up to date and interesting picture page. I wish i was out there doing, rather than watching, but the usual vices, work, bills , mortgage, etc!

Good point about the claustophobia :shock:

Shame i missed the tracks programme tonight

Max, if you don't mind me asking have you done courses with this school.

Paul :-D

M

max

Hello Paul

Don't mind you asking at all - yes i've done two with them, their survival weekend and pathfinder courses a few years back. I had a fantastic instructor and learnt tons - good location too.

Maxmountains

P

Paulmac

Thanks Max

Have you done any overseas courses with them? I'm thinking of doing their Borneo Jungle course - what do you think?

Regards

Paul Mac

M

max

Hello Paul

More questions eh!

No, i've not been overseas with ukss, just the 2 courses above, 1 in 2002 and 1 last year, although I made some good outdoor mates on both courses and one of them was in borneo with them, he also did a Bush course somewhere with them - can't remember. This blokes' well up for an adventure and always had something good to say about the expeditions.

You must be mad - all them creepy crawlies.

Seriously, there a top outfit, do it and enjoy yourself

Maxmountains

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE