Smokeless fire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
We build a small stone niche with a "clean flat stone tablet" over top a "small" dry wood fire, and place it under a tall well branched fir tree, the fire would heat the stone and the heat would sink in the stone tablet, we could "cook" on this stone what little smoke would curl and adhere to the bottom of the stone. Whatever smoke escape the stone niche would rise and be disapated among the branches. Still have a problem with the smell at close range.
just a thought

Moine

Forager
Salut Carcajou Garou :)

LOL -- J'ai pas peur des ours, mais les carcajous je me sauve en courant ;)

Nice tip. I'll try it as well. I think the smell is just about impossible to hide... especially on bad weather days where the smoke is sticking to the ground...

Salut,

David

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Moine said:
Interesting !

I never tried that one. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

What do you use to dig that chimney? How long should it be?

Thanks,

David

I've only tried this in practice once, and I had a folding shovel with me :) -I suspect that any kind of branch would do if the ground was soft enough, but then it might take you a while to complete!

When I made the last one, I made the tunnel about 1.5m-2.5m long, and probably about 20cm wide, tapering towards the top to get it to draw better. Took about half an hour to dig it out properly, but it worked quite well, although I over-stuffed the chimney with damp grass at first, so there was a huge amount of smoke to start with when it first lit and failed to draw. I guess this is always a problem with any fire as it will always smoke until it really gets going...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Would an easier option be to dig a trench and then cover it over or would that not work? :?:

Of course the trench would have to be deeper at one end to allow it to draw

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE