smallest practical woodgas stove

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've a mind to make a woodgas stove and was wondering if my idea of making one out of a standard Baked bean can is practical

I'm looking for an as compact setup as possible but how small can I realy go?

I'm thinkinf standard bean can with a sweetcorn can inside - I'm pretty sure it will be ok as a brew kit - the dimentions seem bigger than the

foldup pocket stove you can get here

anyone have any experience with compact setups?

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
For me this is a case of go big or go home.
The one i built from a dog food can with a bean can inside only burns for 2-3 mins before needing restocked and then it takes 1+mins for the new wood to light and burn properly, also if i put too much wood in it will take ages to light.

In total to bring 500ml to a rolling boil in a bcb crucader mug with plastic lid takes 10+mins defending on how good ive been at restocking the wood at the right time.

Just not good enough for me, will be buying a Biolite stove for xmas they are much better.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A Lyles golden syrup tin is almost identical to my Bushbuddy in size, strong too. If you can find a second tin to nest nicely inside the rim then you're 90% there. I've kind of tried to marry a few up but never found that perfect second tin, there will be one out there though.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
For me this is a case of go big or go home.
The one i built from a dog food can with a bean can inside only burns for 2-3 mins before needing restocked and then it takes 1+mins for the new wood to light and burn properly, also if i put too much wood in it will take ages to light.

In total to bring 500ml to a rolling boil in a bcb crucader mug with plastic lid takes 10+mins defending on how good ive been at restocking the wood at the right time.

Just not good enough for me, will be buying a Biolite stove for xmas they are much better.

would regular feeding not solve this issue

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i did a potato can with a standard bean tin in. with wood it was carp but with wood pellet it boiled my msr kettle and 500ml of water no bother. Its not very practical though. Wood pellet is a superb fuel for all wood gas stoves as it gives fantastic density of fuel. far better than you will get with twigs etc. My biolite is like a forge on pellets but its not half as good on twiggs

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Remember, the smaller the stove, the smaller the fuel needs to be and the more feeding it will require. You may end up with a lightweight, compact stove but one that needs a mountain of prepared fuel to do any actual cooking

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
i did a potato can with a standard bean tin in. with wood it was carp but with wood pellet it boiled my msr kettle and 500ml of water no bother. Its not very practical though. Wood pellet is a superb fuel for all wood gas stoves as it gives fantastic density of fuel. far better than you will get with twigs etc. My biolite is like a forge on pellets but its not half as good on twiggs

Paul - would you buy the Biolite again, having used yours for a while? (sorry for the thread hijack!)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Remember, the smaller the stove, the smaller the fuel needs to be and the more feeding it will require. You may end up with a lightweight, compact stove but one that needs a mountain of prepared fuel to do any actual cooking

Agree with that. As much as I like playing with my Wild Woodgas 11 stove - I find the whirling flames very soporific:) - the Emberlit stove is much easier to both feed through the side entrance - and can use much thicker and longer sticks - as well as controlling the heat.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Paul - would you buy the Biolite again, having used yours for a while? (sorry for the thread hijack!)

Well..My main observation has been that fuel needs to be bone dry for it to work efficiently and ensure a good charge output. Its superb on pellets and will burn long enough to cook a meal with the fan on low. Last week at White Rose Wood the damp conditions made it a PITA to keep regular charge output

My main reason for buying it was the usb out and if used with pellets or bone dry wood this feature works properly. The stove is 1kg so i can still carry a lot of charging packs and a ti woodburner for less weight. Ive just ordered the element 2.2 for Estonia and will take 20amps of charge pack for less combined weight than the biolite

Short answer - dont think i would buy again

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A sweetcorn can is approaching unusable IMO without a fan. It will be very finicky on foraged fuel and won't provide much power. Your better off going for width, either with an empty 100ml gas can(they last longer) or a non-ribbed Evaporated milk can.
Another good combustion chamber is the stainless cup off a flask as it won't rust through very quickly. A lip can be formed by bending the edges over in stages gently with pliers ;)

You can go smaller, but a fan or bellows is needed to supply enough air.

This is at the practical size limits of whats possible with a fan blown stove;
DSC00428.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Pellets made from compressed biomass. The wood based cat litter pellets or the proper home heating biomass pellets- both burn well in these type of stove with a fan.

I made a small one by nesting together the two sizes of Lyles syrup tins. Takes a bit of tinkering but you can get a nice tight fit.
Really good wood gas effect, but found it much too much fuss to constantly feed the fire, and it often went out.
If I made another I'd go significantly bigger.

Papa Tac

Jul 13, 2012
Codroy Valley, NL, Canada
I've made a score or so, from lilliputian to gargantuan, and found the minimal size for the burn chamber to be about the size of your fist. As others have stated, anything smaller requires intensive feeding. They gassify just fine, but you gotta work to get a boil. Like the wife says, the bigger the better...
Hey, is that the milkman again?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE