small woodburner and bio ethanol

Sep 16, 2012
southampton
Hello
The problem is how to heat a house without a chimney ,and we cannot install a flue , currently candles in hurricain lanterns suffice but looking for a larger solution
Saw the bio ethanol fireplaces and thought great idea ,BUT are they expensive for a safe one ,candles are bad enough with 3 collies ,i keep expecting to see a flaming dog running through the house (we keep them high (lanterns not dogs)) ,
so thought of a wood burner with a bio ethanol tray in it , flue upto nearly ceiling should act as a heat sink ,
any thoughts?

and best small woodburner that the other half wont moan about ?
thank you and happy new year

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi,

If you have a gas supply you can purchase gas fires that do not need a flue as they work on a catalictic(spelling) system and are very efficient.

Worth a look?

Cheers

Boots

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
You say Bio ethanol, i know it burns clean but is there a cheaper fuel that burns clean as the burners themselves are quite reasonable to buy. I'm thinking along the lines of methanol or DEG (Di ethylene glycol) like the stuff that goes in chafing heaters. Dont rush out and start buying it, make sure its safe first as I'm no expert. Ian Bilmo or Rik- uk3 might be able to advise you better on this.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Are you allowed no alterations at all? Could you remove a window or window pane (store it) and run an external flue up outside of house? How about a small gas burner? There are standalone boilers for caravans and boats that run off bottled gas (http://www.alde.co.uk/).

Can you put a solid-fuel-fired boiler outside?

Never heard of a council house that is off-grid before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE