Small spirit stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm looking for a tiny spirit stove with a tiny pan support. Something like the M71 Sweedish Gel stove but ideally something a bit more refined and made to use meths or similar. Is there anything out there? The Trangia stove is too big.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
You need an empty vaseline tin (one of those little ones).
Put some fibreglass mat in it (I took a little of the loft insulation). Then a bit of wire mesh over that and tucked into the tin.
Voila.
A little meths stove that holds just enough meths to boil a 58 mug.
I use mine in a hexi stove.
Here's a picture, which I'm sure will explain it all far more...

51489652326_538c4e1033_o.jpg

S7eve

Feb 3, 2021
West Sussex
If you don’t fancy making your own check out speedsterstoves.co.uk

He makes a whole range of small tin type alcohol burners that are both light and very well made.

08855674-C011-4338-95B5-E5465EAFC7D4.jpeg
I’ve got no affiliation to them but I’ve had a few and they work well and are professionally done.

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I had thought about making my own can stove, and I will one day, but it's on a very long to do list.

I like the sound of the tin stove with some suitable wick material, I have several new tins to choose from.

Thanks for the link to www.speedsterstoves.co.uk that's exactly the sort of place I was looking for.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
If you don’t fancy making your own check out speedsterstoves.co.uk

He makes a whole range of small tin type alcohol burners that are both light and very well made.

View attachment 69037
I’ve got no affiliation to them but I’ve had a few and they work well and are professionally done.
I'll second that about Speedster stoves. Just bought one a couple of weeks ago in an effort to try and lighten my long distance hiking load out a bit.

If you search for my YouTube channel 'Allan Shillinglaw' I've done a video on it, the set up, weight etc. Again, no affiliation etc, just impressed with the gear and prices.

ATB,

Allan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
You need an empty vaseline tin (one of those little ones).
Put some fibreglass mat in it (I took a little of the loft insulation). Then a bit of wire mesh over that and tucked into the tin.
Voila.
A little meths stove that holds just enough meths to boil a 58 mug.
I use mine in a hexi stove.
Here's a picture, which I'm sure will explain it all far more...

51489652326_538c4e1033_o.jpg

I love the idea of a spirit burner in a hexi stove. I have both and never thought of combining them. Out of interest what's the advantage of filling it with loft insulation? Doesn't that take space that would otherwise allow for more fuel?

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
How about a white box stove?

Or one can be made at home from an Impulse deodorant can. They weigh next to nothing but you would still need a pan support.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I want a small spirit stove as I tend to have a few litres of meths about the place. The last solid tabs ended up a crumbly mess before I ever got round to using them.

I looked at the mini trangia but it's still a bit big for my needs.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Look at supercat stoves. Simply a catfood tin with holes punched in the side. You don't need a pot support as the pot rests directly on the stove. You're not going to get much simpler or lighter weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE