small puffballs ?

Am I right in thinking these are edible, I have looked in the few books I have but I can never be sure of my ID , I have watched these for the past 3 days and they dont seem to be getting any bigger, the largest of them are just under an inch, they are white and have a marshmallow texture inside when pulled apart. thanks for any help :)
DSC00577.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
look like edible puffballs to me mate, but dont take my word for it, im no expert!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with addo, they look like common puffball to me. I would have said stump puffball as they appear to be growing on a dead limb, but they`re a bit too spikey so I`d say common.

Wait for a more qualified answer though before you scoff them

I agree with addo, they look like common puffball to me. I would have said stump puffball as they appear to be growing on a dead limb, but they`re a bit too spikey so I`d say common.

Wait for a more qualified answer though before you scoff them
they are growing right out of the ground or on the underground roots of a tree that fell last year , but they are spread out over a large area , I will pick a few and try and get better pics,
I always fancied trying puffballs for some reason MMM :D lets hope tis the right ID

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Impossible to tell for sure from your photos, but those look like "Gem Studded puffballs, Lycoperdon perlatum. Are they covered with tiny nubs that you can rub off? The good news is that all puffballs are choice edibles with no poisonous look-alikes. The small ones tend to grow on wood. As long as they're pure white inside, with no other colors or differentiation, you're good to go. They have a delicate texture and taste, cook them slowly with some butter.

rigger_john

Sep 23, 2008
leicester
I'd would have had those critters in a frying pan by now :) bon appetite.

I read once that the Amanita Phalloides in it's very early stag can look like a common puff ball, before the ring has seperated from the cap,however it's easy to tell them apart as when you cut into them, the puff ball is solid and the death cap has a gap between the ring and the stem

I was 95% sure but its always good to get it backed up. Anyway I went back today and there are a load more , way more than i first thought :) I cut them into slices to check the inside and they are pure white taste was good , but i need to get used to the texture.
DSC00593.jpg

On another note , here are some more I found and I have no clue what they are cant find anything in my book ( it isnt much good )
DSC00588.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

thanks again for the help guys :)

they are nice how can I put it , like mushroom flavour marshmallow :D I only cooked a couple up and tasted them, I will have to get used to the texture but will certainly pick them agian when I see them , about 4 of them came up with the roots kind of like a mat so I put them on a log in my garden ;) see if they like it there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE