Small gear purchase needed between big buys?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was just thinking that between two bigger buys I have and about to pay up on I was thinking of getting something that is not expensive but would add to my gear for a lightweight backpacking trip. In other words some useful gadget or piece of clothing or equipment that is not heavy and not too expensive.

Any ideas?

To give you an idea if I hadn't got one I would buy a LMF firesteel. or a new compass or trekking pole or a tiny folding knife. These are all things I have but its little things to make things better on a multi-day trip but don't add much weight. The last such purchase was a whitebox stove and a LMF spice box (triangular container for three flavourings).

BTW I am a gear freak so I do need help and such purchases are my therapy. Slow withdrawal not cold turkey. :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about one of those fancy merino buffs ? I have the army wool headovers which I think is a great bit of kit but not quite as gucci.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have two camp towels one an old one the new one is a lot lighter and dries better.
I have an Alpkit Lhoon. It is perfect for packet food cooking and eating.
Merino buffs. Mmmmm! Gucci. A good call that one.
Spyderbugs - I have just bought a little whitby knife so probably not. Link as follows: - http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/rangeview.cfm?parentitemid=209&rangeid=573&keywords=
A cracking little knife IMHO with a pocket clip like pens have only beefier and more secure. I'll be carrying it clipped to my pocket when backpacking from now on.

Great ideas peeps the merino buff is certainly the front runner so far. I've got two normal buffs (plain blue and UNICEF long way down charity one which is the only piece of clothing I own that is remotely like cammo.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I just ordered an Alpkit Drysac for a forthcoming trip where I won't have to carry gear far, but stand a good chance of a soaking - if the quality is up to scratch then it'll be great value: http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16366&category_id=251

I have one of the gourdons - http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16379&category_id=295 - and it is excellent. Used for over a year and it works as its should. Dry inside despite wet outside. You only have to be carefull getting stuff out as once wet inside it stays wet. It is a very comfortable carry mine but then it won't have heavy stuff in. The one you have is 60litres so I guess it will need a good back carrying system. The straps on the smaller Gourdons indeed all of them are quite well padded a an excellent sliding cord sternum strap. The strap moves up and down by a plastic grip on a cord piece sewn into the strap. Looks good and works well. If only the straps were longer, as it is I have to use the straps at their longest as they are quite short. Probably the same for your ALpkit sack.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Specifically, you could do it here: http://www.justgiving.com/Toby-Stevens
:pokenest:

Aaaargh! I went to that link clicked on donate now, both the top one and the bottom one and it comes up as cannot display website. Is there something wrong with the giving page? I hate it when that happens as I know what I'm like, I'll forget about it if I leave it for a while. Things go out of my head at night.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Also I looked at what others have given. I can't give as much as them I'm afraid but I guess everything helps. Good charity to support, they shouldn't need the charity but thanks to the powers that be it is needed. The covenant is not what it used to be I think if the reports are to be believed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE