Small daysack (10L or less)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I'm looking for an ultra mininmalist back/daysack.

If i went out for a walk with nothing but a phone, bottle of water and a windproof (buffalo windshirt) I would take this daysack.
I imagine the size to be around 10 Liters, preferably waterproof but not necessary.

Closest i can find is an exped drypack lite although if it was half the size of the one available it would suit me better.
http://actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/ex....html?osCsid=8f3725198a8b60d507f4cd96db74c02f
theres a small hipbag/daysack by berghaus that looks promising also
http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1188&Gear=2

also thought of using a side pouch and yoke but even that is a bit bulky (yoke)

Any suggestions?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use a Karrimore Sabre rucksac with side pouches. One pouch is permanently attached to the yoke and I use this to carry my basics about with me after I have set up camp.

The basics of waterproofs etc are generally packed in the side pouch anyway, so all I have to do is unzip and I'm away. As you say, A little bulky, but it saves carrying an extra daysac with you.

Simon

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks scanker, the Vaude piggyback looks like the pack im after although it is still a bit big for what im thinking.

Simon M , i may have found a nice solution the suits me. rather than the Daypack yoke attached to the sack, i have just the Yoke adjustment straps (the 3 male clip type) connected directly and it works a treat.

will test it this weekend, with weight like a water bottle it feels good. which is more than enough as i only want to carry a windproof and the sort of stuff i dont want in pockets.

:)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I use a Berghaus Mach 7 + 4. Seven litres which expand via a zip to 11. I'm not sure whether it's prolonged downpour proof, but it's certainly very waterproof. Constructed from rip-stop it has pockets for two hydration reservoirs (2x two litres I think) and has one zipped exterior pocket - reasonably sized when compared to the size of the pack. There are three other exterior pockets which are elastcated and unzipped - the elasticity of these pockets acts as a type of self adjusting compression system. It also has a cycle helmet 'retainer thingy' zipped away underneath which can be used for carrying other, light weight, items.
It also comes with two belts, one elasticated and one webbing - both are removable.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I use a highlander forces daylight for short walks. Really small and you can pick one up for less than a tenner.

Interesting, whats the dimensions, I can't get a imaginary size in my head. is it around the same size as a side pouch?what sort of shoulder straps does it have?

The berghaus mach looks very promising also, Thanks nice find.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I'm away at the moment and don't have my daylight with me. It is small - just about or a little over 10 ltrs with a waist and chest strap. I have had a stove, waterproof top and trousers, water and food, and fak in it - certainly enough for a day

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a small pack from Morrisons petrol station for a few quid, came in black or sand I think.

Comes in handy for the hobo stove, sigg water bottle and a top layer.

Rich

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I can't get a imaginary size in my head ...

I've taken a few pics, not to try to push the pack, but to give you a concept of size; by using my hat and the stuff I required at the time.
Hope this helps.

Looks small and flat...
s2020060acr2.jpg

O.K ... doesn't look flat any more!
s2020066aoe7.jpg

The contents - on this occassion I didn't need to use the expansion facility so it all went into the 7 litres - 2litres of water in a hydration reservoir, brew kit in metal mug, milk, folding saw, large knife, small knife, stove and gas (in orange bag), folding mug, 1st aid kit, metal folding mug.

s2020061abg6.jpg

Another shot of the brew kit.
s2020063auj7.jpg

This trips contents of the small exterior pocket.
s2020065asb7.jpg

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I use extremely old daypack with main section, one exterior pocket, one sitting mat pocket on the inside and a bottle/thermos pocket on the outside, the whole thing is made of G1000 which is possible to impregnate, and easy to repair should you manage to rip it.
2018.jpg'

Picture honestly stolen from tamarack outdoor, but shows the bigger version, I only took this pic for showing that it's available in green. The whole thing is sized to hold an A4 in the main section, so pretty small. £32 at tamarack.

EDIT: oh, didn't see redsandshanes link, he links to a smaller version of the same pack although that version is aimed at kids, my nephew has one, he is 3 :) Oh also found the explicit volume, it is stated to be 16 litres.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks all for the suggestions so far, some real nice options...haven't decided which way i'm going yet but your efforts are much appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE