Small basic grill?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Im after a small flat grill for open fire cooking. Nothing fancy just the mesh type and say Approx 12”x6” or thereabouts - just small so not like the size of a oven rack. I’ve seen some on various YouTube channels but they are sold in the US at a premium, especially once you factor in the ransom charges at the post office.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
May I suggest that you take a look at TJM Metalworks. Good quality kit, handmade in the UK. He makes a really nice simple grill that seems to fit the bill of what you're after.

I've no affiliation with the company, I'm just a happy customer and a keen purveyor of supporting UK cottage industry. I don't think his prices are too bad either, especially as they will easily last a lifetime.

Link to site: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/717...7cm-lightweight?ref=shop_home_active_11&crt=1

Reactions: Nice65

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Cracking recommendations there, my web searches were drawing a blank for U.K. sellers for some reason. Cheers for that. I do like that Etsy, looks a beast.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I was at a local retail park yesterday and visited poundstretcher on the off chance they would have something for me. Turns out they do a 400mm x 230mm cooling rack made out stainless steel. It’s a touch bigger than what I wanted but one cannot argue for £2.50. Will likely be giving it a whirl soon.

Anyway cheers for the recommendations - if this does not hold up I will be going for a titanium.

Reactions: tiger stacker

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Perhaps take a look at the cooling racks (for bread, cake, etc.) at your local hardware / kitchen / cook shop?

I got a sawed-off bit off an abandoned barbecue. Had it years. I have seen a bunch of those lightweight, packable grills melt/warp/deform. On the other hand, I know w a bunch of pretty experienced outdoorsers who absolutely love them.

So, it's effectiveness aside, I stick with my bit of old iron out of parsimony, mainly. :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just curious, has anybody experience on using Ti grill, how long does it last?
Lasts better than s/s.

You will not find much stuff made from pure Ti, but alloys.

One of the few uses &or pure Ti is in implants, but some manufacturers use an alloy.

I work with pure Ti and alloys from lime to time and they are a pig to work on.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It is used in aerospace applications because it has lower weight than SS and higher strength and especially higher high temp strength than Al. And yes it does burn nicely in jet engine compressors if you are unlucky.

Still I had no idea how it would handle grill duties. I am not really fond of Cr and Ni in SS.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is used in aerospace applications because it has lower weight than SS and higher strength and especially higher high temp strength than Al. And yes it does burn nicely in jet engine compressors if you are unlucky.

Still I had no idea how it would handle grill duties. I am not really fond of Cr and Ni in SS.

The Russians made some interesting submarines from it. No doubt you too had them touristing close to your coast like we had?

Iron burns well too.

If you burn Ti, imagine how the food will look like in that kind of heat.
Well done.

Reactions: SCOMAN

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The Russians made some interesting submarines from it. No doubt you too had them touristing close to your coast like we had?

Iron burns well too.

If you burn Ti, imagine how the food will look like in that kind of heat.
Well done.

Aye well we don't have your minefields so we were likely more at risk. We always like to think no-one got through or 'wouldn't happen to us' alas history has only shown us that they definitely have been loitering around our coast ;-)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Aye well we don't have your minefields so we were likely more at risk. We always like to think no-one got through or 'wouldn't happen to us' alas history has only shown us that they definitely have been loitering around our coast ;-)
Noisily until recently….depending on who you choose to believe

Reactions: SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE