Sloe, Haw and Crab Apple Jam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I sucessfully made jam for the first time today. :)

It was a bit touch and go getting it to set, but in the end it worked great. As an added bonus, it tastes great; sharp and sweet at the same time, mmmm!

1 Kg (2 lb) Sloes
500g (1 lb) Haws
500g (1 lb) Assorted Crab Apples (including 2 'crab pears')
2 Kg (4 lb) Sugar

I also added the juice of 1 lime for added pectin, but I don't think it was required. Next time, I'll probably use less sugar, or preferably honey.

I ended up with 7 jars of yummy hedgerow jam.

jam.jpg

Pappa

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Good work. My wife and I made blackberry jam a couple of weeks ago too - it's not going to last, currently going through one jar a week! We weren't sure it was going to work but it set a treat - the blackberry harvest is very short (they go very quickly) round our place so it's a nice way of extending the season.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pappa said:
I think next time, I'll probably try a jam made from just sloes and honey. Apparently, sloes are very high in pectin, so it should work fine.

Pappa

There's a wonderful fruit paste (ask Match for method) made just by slowly boiling down fruit pulp until it's like a tarry substance (like a fruit version of marmite) no added sugar, just patience :) The commercially produced one is Sunwheel fruit spread, and it's delicious.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE