Sleeping matt for pregnant woman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
My misses has got a bun in the oven and we are planning on going camping for a couple nights. I don't think my 20mm thick foam matt will be good enough to give her a good night’s sleep. Can anyone suggest a light weight, thicker padded mattress that I could get to make her night’s sleep that bit more tolerable?

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Don't forget if she's in the third trimester you need something to go under one side to keep her from lying flat...

and a medal, come to think of it, if she's going camping that heavily pregnant!!!

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Don't forget if she's in the third trimester you need something to go under one side to keep her from lying flat...

and a medal, come to think of it, if she's going camping that heavily pregnant!!!

A gold medal would be good, any Pregnant lady who goes camping deserves one :lmao: :D

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks, I will take a look at these options - keep them coming if you have anymore ideas.

She is only 3 months, so it is not a big problem at this stage, but she does need to sleep on her side which means you need something that is a bit softer and more cushioned. Also she needs her sleep – especially since she has a 2 and 4 year old to run around after.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I was going to ask how far along she was. If she's sleeping on her side, you might also consider getting a few inflatable pillows that she can prop beneath a crooked knee around the stomach area and under the arm (hard to describe this! Imagine someone on the recovery position and the pillows go under the arm and knee areas). Anyhoo - it's a sleeping arrangement that I found most comfortable when I was carrying.

Good luck with it!

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
This company seems to have a good range of thicker mats...http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Camping_Mats_54.htmlI am sure that at 3 months gone she is needing the loo a lot so maybe a sheewee (sp?) so she doesn't have to get up and down for a wee in the night would help too. I think you can get them with bags that turn the urine to gel and don't smell.
Make sure she has a good pillow, and as COTW said one for under her knee when she gets a bit bigger. I'm sure she will be fine - have fun!

BTW I wild camped at 7 months fine but 8 months was my limit - I had to go home after a few hours. Do I still qualify for a medal? :D

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
This company seems to have a good range of thicker mats...http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Camping_Mats_54.htmlI am sure that at 3 months gone she is needing the loo a lot so maybe a sheewee (sp?) so she doesn't have to get up and down for a wee in the night would help too. I think you can get them with bags that turn the urine to gel and don't smell.
Make sure she has a good pillow, and as COTW said one for under her knee when she gets a bit bigger. I'm sure she will be fine - have fun!

BTW I wild camped at 7 months fine but 8 months was my limit - I had to go home after a few hours. Do I still qualify for a medal? :D

5 Golds i should think :eek:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why not get the lady an air bed, this sort of thing
ebay item 120275371507

yes, heavy, but a lot more comfortable the a thermarest type pad, so go on, spoil the lass :)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
What about a camping strecher ?? IO have two here I bought them from the local camping shop when my folks came to stay (both well over hter 60's) and they both had a good nights sleep in fact my father mentioned it was more comfortable than his bed!!

Anyhow they are not that much bigger than a bed roll a little heavier agreed but I think the ladies deserve the comfort I mean shes going to be carry around a lot of weight for the best part of 9 months you can at least carry this around for a day or two ;)

You will need one of the foil car windscreen thinggies underneath her though for warmth as the same problem applies as for hammocks wind on the back good luck and congratulate you wife.. Mine didnt want to go anywhere other that home during pregnancy!!

Simon

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
What about a camping strecher ?? ..... Mine didnt want to go anywhere other that home during pregnancy!!

Simon

A strecher is a good idea - heavy but do-able.

It is funny really - this is first time she has agreed to go......not sure she knows what she is letting herself in for.....that's why I want to make sure she has as comfortable a time as possible.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
She's very lucky! (so are you!)

I had to put up with a 3/4 length ultralite thermarest, til I was 7 months on then I stopped camping as it got too awkward :eek: .

As has been said don't forget a pillow, an extra sleeping bag for lying/leaning on might be a good idea too.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
My Mrs went out last month at 8 months. Two nights out on an inflatable mattress from Tesco (the Thermarest was not thick enough) I nearly slapped her when i came back from foraging to find she'd blown it up herself! :eek: (Less than four weeks to go now! :) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE