Sleeping in a hammock full time?

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hey guys, slightly off topic but can anyone think of a reason why it would be a problem sleeping in a hammock full time? My daughter has asked to get rid of her bed so she can hang a hammock in her room. Seems fine, any thoughts?

Many thanks, joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Cool idea. Fold it up for way more bedroom space. No idea if theres any issues with it full time. Do you mean health wise?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
great idea! i know its not the same but i slept on a camp bed for over 18 months and it did my back the world of good. i honestly dont think beds are good for us

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...i honestly dont think beds are good for us..."

I'd agree, beds are horrible things, too soft and filled with dead skin and worse. Not sure about a hammock though, I used a thin futon for years, just roll it up during the day and unlace the sheets and stick in the washing machine to clean. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Young girl, young bones still growing, curved sleeping position, not a great idea for her back and sleeping predominently in one position is not good for lungs either really (long term).

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Young girl, young bones still growing, curved sleeping position, not a great idea for her back and sleeping predominently in one position is not good for lungs either really (long term).

Agreed, but there are hammocks that, if set up with the fixings high, offer almost flat diagonal sleeping. I've done a three nighter in a small hammock and always end up lying on my back with shoulders compressed, and a bad back at the end. I learned I wasn't setting it up right, my hammock is huge, but I was cocooned.

This is more like the way I hang it now.

image_zpsab5b51aa.jpg

And this article is useful:

http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/angle-relax-sleep-comfortably-hammock/

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Agreed, but there are hammocks that, if set up with the fixings high, offer almost flat diagonal sleeping..."

I have one of the old Ray Mears hammocks that work in the same way, you can lay flat along the diagonal, However 'd agree with Rik, not healthy in the long term. No reason why she can't have one to try out or for having a read in the afternoon though.

:)

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I have one of the old Ray Mears hammocks that work in the same way, you can lay flat along the diagonal, However 'd agree with Rik, not healthy in the long term. No reason why she can't have one to try out or for having a read in the afternoon though.

:)

Thanks guys...she's decided to keep the bed and install a hammock for reading! Just got to fix it to the wall now!

Cheers, Joab

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The wall fixing needs to be very strong. the pull on the fixture will be at least the weight of the hanger (on each fixture) if the suspension is at 30 degrees from horizontal. Every wriggle can lead to a dynamic load of 2-3 x hanger weight (on each fixture). Might be better to make (or purchase) a hammock stand.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My full time hammock setup is mounted on a wooden frame with a top bar that runs across the ceiling. All of the frame sits against the perimeter of the room so it doesn't take up space. The bottom of the uprights are screwed to the floor and the tops push against the cross bar.

This eliminates any force on the walls and any clutter. I have 2 fixings in the wall but all they do is stop it falling over.

I wouldn't mount a hammock to the middle of a standard internal supporting wall, it will eventually break the mortar, especially with the amount of washing up liquid thrown in mortar mixes on the average modern building.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'm with Teepee, I wouldn't use a internal wall in a British house to hang a hammock off. A wooden frame internal to the building that is self supporting would be my approach.

In the summer I sometimes hang a hammock on my four poster bed, works quite well.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE