sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i'm looking to buy a good quality sleeping bag that will keep me warm this time of year without the need for a fire also is there a junior size out there anywhere

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
A few questions for you

To keep you warm this time of the year, or through the winter?
To be used in a tent, bivi bag or just under some sort of shelter/tarp
Is weight and size a big factor?
Is cost a big factor?
For lowland or highland use?

And there is probably another 1000 questions :biggthump

For the Juniors there are a few bags, I have a couple of Vango bags for the kids, they're good to -5c and they are a good price considering that they will grow out of them and have little respect for them! :-D

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
that was the next question where to get good bivvi bag its for winter use weight is not a problem prise is dont want to spend more than 150 to 200 quid i'll be using it under a basha or in a tent for use on an island

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
i've been using the british army sleeping system bag for a couple of years now and found it to be superb, its just come back from morocco on a visit with my daughter, she was really impressed too (but that didnt stop her dropping it in a puddle of donkey wee though!)

been browsing good 'ole ebay again and found this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3638920000&category=19296

item is much cheaper than i paid even with the postage

regards

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
The army sleeping bag is very warm, sometimes too warm for UK, the only real drawback is its size and weight. I found a lot of people using softie bags (smaller and lighter), used one myself (a softie 9) in Bosnia over the winter in 95 and found it very good. I did find a couple of draw backs though, the material is a bit fragile and after a fair bit of use and abuse it looses its thermal qualities, like most bags I suppose. I now have an Ajungilak bag which is sturdier, the same size and about the same price. You tend to find that if you want it in green then you start to seriously limit your options.

Brian

Y

yowee

Ajungilak have had a bit of a change of ownership from what I can gather and the people behind all there good bags have set up their own company called Nanook the bags seem to have great features (I think that they make the new range of Bags for Ray Mears so if its good enough for him! his range sold on his website seem good I now a few people that have them and really like them, But the old Ajungilak Tyin range are good are some of the mountain equipment range, I've seen the Nanook stuff for sale on the web approx £110 in green with a special section to keep your boots dry, good for about -10°c
hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE