Sleeping Bags

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Similar in looks only Paullyfuzz, this thing is a 5+ season bag comfort -20 low -50 according to the specs. They are on a special offer now normally £149.99

I sometimes wonder where sleeping bag makers get their "low" level ratings from while still being allowed to describe their bags as "Sleeping Bags" Any bag that I've used down near the lower levels has never let me get a good night's sleep in. I didn't freeze, but I was definately too cold to sleep. I would accept the level of -20 described but would be very dubious about accepting the -50 claim

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I had the original antarctica 5 , trust me they are warmer than any other bag .Only problem with them is you need another bergan just to carry them.
I now use an elite 5 and it's really warm again,the size is a problem.
As for -50 extreme I understand this to mean in some form of shelter and fully clothed.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I had the original antarctica 5 , trust me they are warmer than any other bag .Only problem with them is you need another bergan just to carry them.
I now use an elite 5 and it's really warm again,the size is a problem.
As for -50 extreme I understand this to mean in some form of shelter and fully clothed.

I assume the same Sapper1 but I have a standard army dossbag which is said to cope down to -10 and when I was out last year in January it was reading -2 on the thermometer at about 4.00am and I was absolutely frozen and that was on a mat in a tent and felt cold all night. So I decided to go for something that will definately cope and this bag seems to be the answer, even if it only works down to -20 keeping me toasty celtginger I will be a very happy man. Perhaps when I'm rich and famous (yeh!) I'll be able to afford a Laavu with a stove, but until then this will have to suffice.

Let us know what you think about the bag if you get one Sniper. I'm after a good warm bag for winter use as well, but I'm a bit afraid to commit to one just by going on the sales jargan. I'd like to hear from someone who has used it and has an unbiased opinion of how it really performs. I have heard that Snugpak's claims on temperatures are wildly inaccurate, but I've only ever talked to one person who has said that their bags are great and have plenty of heat. I tried getting into that bag but found that it was like being in a straight jacket. I really didn't like it, however I see that you can now get bags with either seperate or already sewn in expanding panels, so perhaps one of those may be better for a slightly larger framed bloke like myself. I've always been impressed with Snugpak's quality on all the other items I have by them, so I'm sure that the bags would be no exception.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'm the same Woodsmoke, a bit large around the waist, there is an expanda panel specific to this bag for about £20 I'm around the 50" mark but no idea about the size of these yet! I was hoping someone would be able to tell me their experience with one but I guess apart from Sapper1 no one else has one but I do need a good winter one so I may just take the plunge anyway.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I'd love one of these bags however has anyone got the internal diameter measurements for the shoulder/chest area? I would use an expander panel with it (58-60 inch chest!) just curious if there would be plenty room?
WS

I'm the same Woodsmoke, a bit large around the waist, there is an expanda panel specific to this bag for about £20 I'm around the 50" mark but no idea about the size of these yet! I was hoping someone would be able to tell me their experience with one but I guess apart from Sapper1 no one else has one but I do need a good winter one so I may just take the plunge anyway.

Here's the dimensions of the Softie 18 Antarctica version. It's 165cm without the panel and with is 215cm or in old money about 88 inches.

If you go to John Bull Clothing they've got it on offer for £125.99

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
For that kind of money I would definitely go for a down bag instead. Less weight, less bulk, more warmth. And at least as 'hard wearing' as a synthetic. You are talking about a winter bag here, so moisture affecting the insulating capacity of down isn't an issue (and isn't really a problem in the other seasons either). Alpkit and roberts.pl has good quality down bags. Alpkit is probably the most customer oriented company I ever dealt with. Roberts.pl does custom bags for the same price as his ordinary versions. Cheap as nails.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE