Sleeping Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Just to throw another name out there. the Coleman 'big basin' bag is huuuuge, at 6 foot i can sit up and move around inside it. Pretty warm and cheap too

Yes these get good reviews following Midnighthounds group buy a while back. They do look very ample.

I have one of Wynnchesters Adventure Bags and layer wool blankets and a Thermorest Neoair. Not a cheap solution but really capacious and comfortable.

https://www.wynnchester.co.uk/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I haven't used it in "extreme" conditions (ie -10 or below) but the new UK MOD Modular Combat Sleeping Bag system has impressed me. There are new samples on ebay for about £80 or so. It's a central zip system and IMHO is worth carrying if you're off bivvying well away from home. Just my twopennorth.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
IC_Rafe - agreed - the received wisdom that a down sleeping bag becomes unuseable when even the slightest bit of moisture falls on it seems to be unkillable. Its even in a gear guide published by Trail Magazine this year, which also reckoned that the best synthetic insulation 'is almost as efficient as down', something PHD would have issues with! In reality, the people who use down bags dont seem to have a problem, but I notice a lot of people using synthetic bags using moisture problems as a justification.

Last year, Wayne said this about his down sleeping bags in reply to someone saying they would only use synthetic -
I have been using exclusively down bags for over 10 years averaging 200 nights a year in a sleeping bag in all sorts of shelters ranging in temp from +15 -20C.

I have never had issues with with down. I look after my kit but that's just good practice. I once stupidly didn't pitch my tent right in the dark in a hurry in mid Jan. Woke up at 2am feeling wet. Thermarest and Rab bag lying in 2 inches of water.

I was pretty cold after going outside finding the issue fixing it and bailing the tent. I expected a pretty miserable couple of nights in a wet sleeping bag but after a while it warmed up to an acceptable level and hanging the bag close to the fire it dried out enough for the next night to be toasty.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128711&highlight=mountain+warehouse

In reality, nobody wants to sleep in a wet bag, even synthetic. If your going to be in very damp conditions, then go for synthetic - thats sensible. But for most people, down is fine, and packs down smaller and lighter. Just do what we all do - use drybags and common sense. They are more expensive, but last longer, and are generally cheaper than than they were 20 years ago - Alpkit's SkyHigh 700 is back in stock, and at £150, is a great deal.

As for Wiggy's, when I looked in to them, their fans seemed to be almost cult like in their defending of them. But they are really heavy, not exactly cheap, and have to be imported from the US, so you have no chance to try before you buy. And if you dont like it, then things can get sticky.

I think Wayne's advice in that previous thread was spot on:

Buy the best you can afford and be nice to it. Don't squash then in compression sacks unless you really have to.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
IC_Rafe - agreed - the received wisdom that a down sleeping bag becomes unuseable when even the slightest bit of moisture falls on it seems to be unkillable. Its even in a gear guide published by Trail Magazine this year, which also reckoned that the best synthetic insulation 'is almost as efficient as down', something PHD would have issues with! In reality, the people who use down bags dont seem to have a problem, but I notice a lot of people using synthetic bags using moisture problems as a justification.

Last year, Wayne said this about his down sleeping bags in reply to someone saying they would only use synthetic -
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128711&highlight=mountain+warehouse

In reality, nobody wants to sleep in a wet bag, even synthetic. If your going to be in very damp conditions, then go for synthetic - thats sensible. But for most people, down is fine, and packs down smaller and lighter. Just do what we all do - use drybags and common sense. They are more expensive, but last longer, and are generally cheaper than than they were 20 years ago - Alpkit's SkyHigh 700 is back in stock, and at £150, is a great deal.

As for Wiggy's, when I looked in to them, their fans seemed to be almost cult like in their defending of them. But they are really heavy, not exactly cheap, and have to be imported from the US, so you have no chance to try before you buy. And if you dont like it, then things can get sticky.

I think Wayne's advice in that previous thread was spot on:

I don't doubt any of the above and am certainly not knowledgeable or experienced enough to gain say any of it. All I CAN say, is that 40 odd years ago, I bought a Blacks Highland Sleeping Bag (well, 2), advertised as a 4 season and their first synthetic bag. Bloody expensive then too; but it's still in perfect nick and performing fine, zips and all...........

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I would consider some quality wool blankets. Wiggys do seem to get great reviews, though I've never personally handled one.
I find a good wool blanket, inside a light sleeping bag a great winter option.

That'll be the Czech Army sleeping bag system, sir? £10, very well spent from Military Mart :)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
A simple suggestion might be to zip 2 together to make one double size bag...

I'm 6'4" and closer to 25 St. and this is what I currently do in my hammock with 2 snugpak jungle bags. Fine for the spring/summer so far.
In the winter I'm gonna double them up and use them as blankets and invest in a decent underquilt... hoping it will work. I'll probably also go with some thermal underwear/longjohns/socks. I had a good search for big enough sleeping bags and wasn't thrilled by the options in the UK.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I use a Snugpak Chrysalis for most sleeps, the dual zip system is handy allowing the bag to be bigger or more snug. Best big bag I have is the Coleman Big Basin. It's a bulk of a bag for any carry though.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
image_zps5g8qertt.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
966F87E7-B104-422A-AAEF-AA3D798D942C_zpsqdnj40by.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Here is my two snugpac Antarctica re sleeping bags with expanda panels, it is extra long and DOES compress down in a Brittish army artic compression sack with the expanda panel attached, I know this because I do this with me own, you will get into this bag and I've attached a pic of me in it on me garden furniture to show how big this is, am 6ft 3 and about 18st ish, you can't go wrong with this bag, comfort -20 and survival -50.
And for weight to warmth this IS your best bet if you want an extreme bag and are gonna use it otherwise use the corinthia and layer up, but if u do layer up you add the weight thing again, it's been mentioned that snugpac ratings are exadurated, well I'll never test this bag to its extreme, but you still have the option to add a liner and a bivvi bag over it to which you'd more than likely be carting with you anyway? Hope this helps 🇬🇧

Ps. Don't go on about the camel toe on the bag lol I never heard the end of it lol

dont own this one but love any centre zip bag and do like snugpak. Personally own a merlin and the 2 centre zip military one's than can be zipped together, forgot if the have a name. Heard others say the bag above is great as well.

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
dont own this one but love any centre zip bag and do like snugpak. Personally own a merlin and the 2 centre zip military one's than can be zipped together, forgot if the have a name. Heard others say the bag above is great as well.

I do prefer synthetic and center zips myself

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE