skins

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
stuart f said:
also Reindeer skins SMELL believe me,......... started to blame my feet for being whiffy and so for years my folks were convinced it was me.
:rolmao:
Yep, the dried skins might smell, and they may even smell pretty bad :shock: when they have been wet. But then after a week or two on the trail, you don't really care about the smell of the damp skin :roll: compared to your feet :yikes: .
Tanned skins doesn't really smell (oh well, they obviously have their own distinct smell, but it isn't a bad smell).

Oct 18, 2004
London
The reason some reindeer skins are smelly and shed fur is because these are cheaper ones that are low-grade. I bought one in Helsinki a coupla years ago and it developed an acute case of alopecia the moment I threw it over my sofa when I got home! And it minged so it had to go.

If you want a decent one that doesn't shed fur and doesn't smell you have to be prepared to shell out £80 plus; I bought one from www.nordicarts.com which is in the UK, a few months ago and I'm absolutely delighted with it. After a chat with them they told me that there ARE several grades, the lower ones being more likely to shed and stink, and the grade1 being the best-tanned (which is what I got).

Oh, and a mate of mine bought one from a posh high street store in London (mentioning no names but it was one that sold reindeer skins from all the way over from their natural habitat) for £120 and it shed fur. Nordicarts do shedloads of other stuff too like Marttiini knives and loads of Lapland stuff from Sweden. I got a Lapp "witches tooth" carbon steel knife from them and it's the sharpest piece of kit I own (and the best-looking!).

Dec 9, 2013
London
The reason some reindeer skins are smelly and shed fur is because these are cheaper ones that are low-grade. I bought one in Helsinki a coupla years ago and it developed an acute case of alopecia the moment I threw it over my sofa when I got home! And it minged so it had to go.

I have one of these low grade ones, bought it in Norway in 2009 up in Narvik and it still stinks. Fur shedding too. Is there any way I can remove the smell or stop the shedding, or better yet both?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE