Six Field Jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In case anyone hadn't noticed, it rains occasionally in Britain, and a decent waterproof is possibly the most important piece of kit you should buy. Certainly if I had a budget of £100 for a waterproof and a knife, I would spend £10 on a knife and £90 on the waterproof, rather than the other way around.

If you go to the outdoor shop, you will find many excellent jackets, but in rather scary colours – I prefer to blend in rather than stand out when in the woods. Finding a decent waterproof jacket in a discrete colour seems to be quite a problem, judging by how often the issue comes up on Kit Chatter. So here is a brief report -my own opinion only- on six field jackets.

I have not included camouflage jackets. Probably the cheapest route to a decent waterproof jacket is to buy a military surplus waterproof, such as the British DPM or German Flecktarn types. They are often goretex or similar. They are inconspicuous in the woods, but not in public - some people are suspicious of folk in camo, seeing them as SAS wannabees or worse. A lot of the stalkers near me wear DPM, but usually in conjunction with plus fours or a deerstalker, neither of which, as far as I know, are typical SAS issue.

Craghoppers Pakka

craghopper.jpg

Lightweight, moderately breathable hooded jacket at around £30-£40.
Taped seams, simple but effective hood, single storm flap.
Measured weight is 350g including stuff sac.

A lot of the time, the waterproof is being carried rather than worn, and lightweight, small pack size waterproofs are ideal. Similar options include the lightweight goretex 'Paclite' and breathable taped seam jackets like 'mac in a sac'.
The Craghoppers Pakka came top in a test of lightweight waterproofs, and is/was available in 'Bark' – kind of brownish green.
I use this as my spring summer waterproof.

Barbour Northumbria

barbour.jpg

Waxed Cotton
Optional detachable hood press-studs on.
Measured weight with hood 1900g.

I like the Barbour – it is well made in the old style – brass zips, and heavy duty high quality cotton. There are under arm grommets for ventilation. They are very waterproof, repairable and abrasion resistant.
Obviously designed to be worn with a hat, as the hood is an abomination, it comes off easily, and gives inadequate rain protection.
The linings are warm but wax cotton itself is not ( it feels cold to the touch on a winters day).
A good jacket when the weight is not an issue: wildfowling/shooting, walks in the woods, etc. The weight and pack size make it unsuitable for expedition use. Having said that, I have climbed Ben More Assynt and Conival in this one, in January.

Keela Munro

keela.jpg

'Innovation' breathable fabric
Measured weight 1100g
Technical features: double storm flap, adjustable wired hood, large enough for helmet, pit zips, scooped back, waist and hem drawcords

This is a full-blown mountain jacket that is current issue to several UK mountain rescue teams. Unusually for mountain gear, it is available in discrete colours – this older one is a grey-brown that Keela justifiably call 'Covert' although the current Munro is available in Olive.

When its force 11 on the Cairngorm plateau, this is the jacket to have. it has a proper mountain hood that gives good protection without compromising visibility.

It is a little heavier than similar mountain shell jackets but it is also significantly warmer. I think it may be too hot in summer. The fabric is very breathable however and with long armpit zips you don't get too sweaty.

If I was to have only one jacket I would choose this one.

Issue OG Jacket

NI.jpg

Probably p.u. nylon.
Measured weight 700g
Underarm mesh for ventilation.

Thse are available cheaply – I think they were on issue for Northern Ireland. A good subtle colour but the epaulettes give it a military appearance. Non breathable but surprisingly comfortable due to mesh in the armpit areas.
Weather protection is very good, but it rustles terribly.

Barbour Berwick Breathable

lightbarb.jpg

Cordura (or something similar) with drop liner
Optimised for shooting with articulated elbows, hold open cartridge pockets.
Detachable hood included but not very good.
Measured weight 1650g

This is one of the first of Barbours 'modern jackets'. They did a good job but made it almost as heavy as a wax cotton jacket! The latest versions are lighter. Excellent abrasion resistance and great weather protection except for typically dreadful detachable hood. good breathability
It is very smart and makes you look 'respectable', but weight and pack size make it hopeless when travelling distances on foot.
There are various other manufacturers making similar shooting jackets. Many do not have hoods and beware that some features have downsides. For instance, some have a rubber strip on the shoulder to stop the rifle sling slipping – a useful feature, but not if you are carrying a heavy rucsac.

Hilltrek Single-layer Ventile Windshirt

ventile.jpg

Measure weight 550g

It is hard to categorise the ventile as it is not fully waterproof, and this smock is sold as a windshirt rather than a shell jacket.

Maybe 90% of the time you will be more comfortable in ventile than anything else – it is light, totally breathable, windproof and protects from modest rain.

However, when wet it gets stiff, a bit heavier, and may take a long time to dry if you do not have a fire. I would not use it alone for multi-day mountain trips, for instance. Also it works best over wool, where a little water ingress does not compromise insulation.
For ultralight use I am considering teaming it with a bivi bag and poncho, as it would be good to have the poncho option in prolonged rain.
It is great in intermittent rain, as it saves putting raingear on and off.
Great kit, but not as your only waterproof in the colder months.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great write up and review Doc

I also have the Keela but mine`s in "Mountain Rescue" red so I don`t wear it so much for bushcrafting. I`d agree it`s a superb piece of kit for serious hill walking and smart enough to wear around town also.
I`ll second your comments on the ventile too, I wouldn`t wear anything else whilst sat round a fire, but if there`s heavy rain forecast you just know it`s going to turn to cardboard.

Interesting read thanks

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Good review Doc. I have a Northumbria myself, and its the best jacket i have had got to agree about the hood though. I belive that barbour used to do different sizes of hood but now only do a one size fits all, as you i normally wear a hat anyway.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I agree with your comment on the scary colours that kit seems to come in these days - it seems to be scary or black. I needed a new jacket and after lots of research have just bought a RAB Bergen eVent jacket that weighs less than 400g and comes in "earth" which is a sort of browny green. It isn't cheap but It is the only jacket I will use (and is, therefore, cheaper than having several) and, as Doc points out, most of the time you're carrying it. (Un;ess we have more summers like the last two...:)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The Issue OG jacket was an MOD lightweight 'waterproof'. In the Navy they were issued to 'Snotties' at Dartmouth only for use on the river and inside the college and, more familiar to the Matelots, were used by the FOST'ies the Navy's Inspectors. The mere sight of them used to make the QM tremble. As with most of the military 'Foulies' they were poor both at keeping you dry from without and within.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very good honest review, great read.

Talking to a guy on a non bushcraft forum, it seems that p.u. nylon is making a comeback with some of the lightweigt campers/hikers

Mar 19, 2009
Glasgow Scotland
I had a full-on Ventile jacket which I got rid of due to taking so much stick from my mates about looking like a Psychopath in it! I simply will not wear a military-green jacket, apart from a light one with jeans in the summer. But the fabric itself is great and all it takes is a little cottonproof and a good tumble-dry/iron to stop the "cardboarding" entirely

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
The issue OG jacket was also issued to the RAF, where they were favoured by lineys. I remember that the SWO at RAF Catterick hated them, and being caught with one would result in extra fire picquet duties.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Great write up Doc some good comparisons there. I have the Barbour and would not leave home without it in the winter but I agree it can be a bit heavy and warm for the Summer. Those that have met me know that I'm a "big" lad not very tall but big. In fact I'm the perfect weight for someone who is 8' 7" tall but I'm only 5' 9" so really I'm short not fat hey ho! Anyway the problem I have is, there are loads of really good gear on the market as long as your chest measurement is under 44" and cos I'm a 50" waist most manufacturers don't do my size which is frustrating to say the least. The ones that do tend to be priced at silly money unless your happy with an ex MOD poncho, however I have found that Jack Pyke do a good line in waterproof / breathable, soft to the touch jackets and trousers. I have'nt had the chance to try the jacket out yet (only got it in the winter and have been using my Barbour until now) but I'm hoping to give it a test drive this coming Summer/Autumn. Has anyone else tried this gear? If so how do you rate it? Lastly is there any others on the market that cater for the teletubby figure at more realistic prices?

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I have spent some time in your fare country. And thought I would get
web feet before I left rained every day I was there finely just gave up and got a trench coat

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My brother jokes that it's written into his contract with his Maker......."Must be rained on at least twice a day " :rolleyes: :D
Even our Queen has a brolly to match every outfit ;)

Doc, that's a really clear review, and useful. I do like my wax jacket but in Summer it's stiffling. I'm sorely tempted to make a single layer version in ventile for those warmer months.

cheers,
M

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
I revamp this old thread because I recently bought a Barbour Berwick Breathable jacket just like yours, secondhand but in perfect conditions. It came unfortunately without the hood. I am curious then on your remark about the hood because I was on the look for one. Why you found it not so good?

I tested the jacket during a gundog training session under a pouring rain and I would say that it was fairly good. the outer cordura layer was soaked with water and became very heavy (and this is not so good) however I came home perfectly dry. It was ansolutely waterproof. It has a long cut, roomy pockets and straps to adjust it so it fits quite well.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Doc, that's a really clear review, and useful. I do like my wax jacket but in Summer it's stiffling. I'm sorely tempted to make a single layer version in ventile for those warmer months.

cheers,
M

LOL. I miss a lot of things about the UK. But needing a coat in the Summer ain't one of them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I revamp this old thread because I recently bought a Barbour Berwick Breathable jacket just like yours, secondhand but in perfect conditions. It came unfortunately without the hood. I am curious then on your remark about the hood because I was on the look for one. Why you found it not so good?

I tested the jacket during a gundog training session under a pouring rain and I would say that it was fairly good. the outer cordura layer was soaked with water and became very heavy (and this is not so good) however I came home perfectly dry. It was ansolutely waterproof. It has a long cut, roomy pockets and straps to adjust it so it fits quite well.

I've got the Barbour Bedale. While I don't have the hood, I'd say that from the looks of the ones I've seen, they don't really seal properly like a hood would that was permanently sewn on. Just too many places for one to leak. However the coat with a good broad brimmed hat is a downright joy in the rain.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire

I do like the Berwick, though it's a bit big for me - I should have got the medium, not a large. It looks very respectable and the olive colour is very discrete. I was once beating and one of the guns commented on how good the Berwick looks. Will carry lots of cartidges in the pockets too.
The hood does not shield the face from rain like a proper mountain hood, it looks kind of funny, and is only attached with press studs so could easily come off if caught on a branch.
Fine with a hat though, which I guess is how most people wear them.

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
Hi, thanks for the answer. I read you, I have the same problem with size: usually a L (42"-44") fits me fine but this one is a bit too big. A medium would have fit better, however I am not sure for the sleeve lenghth, because the L is fine for me.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
You can gt sleeves shortened by Barbour as well as their excellent repair and reproofing service, the latter is outstanding, your jacket telly does come back like new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE