Silk Liners, are they worth it, where's the cheapest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I got my silk liner from lidls a few years ago less than £10 and worth every penny. Last outing the temperature dropped down to 2 degrees and I was comfortably cozy in my 2 season sleeping bag. I also have a cotton one and a fleece one which have not had much use since.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I would be quite suspect of any silk liner below about £25 (unless in a sale) - it's one of those 'too good to be true' issues for me. I have a Rab one and that has had quite a workout with no quality problems, etc. A cotton liner is ideal for warm and dry conditions but a silk liner is a must for cold nights. It's not just about warmth - it will also keep the inside of the bag cleaner so it lasts longer and will need to be cleaned less often. I have used mine for climbing, mountaineering, military exercises and ops, adventure racing and mountain marathons, where you often go to bed dirty (!).

I'm convinced (through experience) a good silk liner will help extend the life of your bag - especially down bags - and is one of those items where a quality buy will pay for itself through years of use.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I got a cheap one from 'Nam... doesn't do anything to keep me warm, but makes it a hell of a lot easier to clean..erm... not that I'm a dirty boy or anything...

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi,mikey where did you get yours from? thanks carl
I would be quite suspect of any silk liner below about £25 (unless in a sale) - it's one of those 'too good to be true' issues for me. I have a Rab one and that has had quite a workout with no quality problems, etc. A cotton liner is ideal for warm and dry conditions but a silk liner is a must for cold nights. It's not just about warmth - it will also keep the inside of the bag cleaner so it lasts longer and will need to be cleaned less often. I have used mine for climbing, mountaineering, military exercises and ops, adventure racing and mountain marathons, where you often go to bed dirty (!).

I'm convinced (through experience) a good silk liner will help extend the life of your bag - especially down bags - and is one of those items where a quality buy will pay for itself through years of use.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I'm the same in that I get tangled up in them,more bother to me than anything and it wasn't a cheap one either.

Same here - I have limited experience but liner inside sleeping bag inside bivi bag is all a bit of a game, especially in the dark under a small tarp. I bought it to try and avoid washing the sleeping bag but after using an open fire it stinks of smoke so it all had to be washed before being put away anyway.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I've got one of the silk liners that lidl were selling several years ago. I'm sure it only cost a tenner or maybe less, but is is brilliant and very well made. I don't recognise any of the problems that people of highlighted here. It is definitely something I would replace it i lost it.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Sorry to drag up an old thread, bu it cae up on a google search.
I have a fleece liner that I have used for a few years and its been ok.
Looking to get a silk 1, namely the one from dd hammocks as it comes as part of a kit, does anyone have both a fleece liner and a silk 1, and could you give me an idea which 1 is warmer please?
Cheers
Steve

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I have a fleece liner and the DD. The fleece is OK but I've never found it that warm or comfortable, mine tends to get things stick in it as its got a slight loop to the weave. I like silk and have had the DD for about 3 years but I'm not a huge fan of it for what is going to sound stupid reasons. Firstly I have has no problems with the quality but the weave is a bit course. But I'm short at 5,7 but I find it too short for me, with thr slit down the side I find it is only ever covering my legs effectively. It has a second pouch for a pillow but with my legs right at the bottom it is not as far up as I would want a pillow to be. Also because its black and has two pouches I can never work out where the opening is at night and end up trying to put my feet in the pillow bit which doesnt work then having to work it out.

Hope that helps, I have one of the jag bags on my xmas list

http://www.terrevistatrails.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=73

bearbait

I used a meraklon sleeping liner for many years but now have a Rab "mummy" silk liner and I think it's brill. Packs light and small, washes and dries easy on long trips, and is effective as a sleeping bag in its own right in hot places. Loads of room in it. No going back now...

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I have a fleece liner and the DD. The fleece is OK but I've never found it that warm or comfortable, mine tends to get things stick in it as its got a slight loop to the weave. I like silk and have had the DD for about 3 years but I'm not a huge fan of it for what is going to sound stupid reasons. Firstly I have has no problems with the quality but the weave is a bit course. But I'm short at 5,7 but I find it too short for me, with thr slit down the side I find it is only ever covering my legs effectively. It has a second pouch for a pillow but with my legs right at the bottom it is not as far up as I would want a pillow to be. Also because its black and has two pouches I can never work out where the opening is at night and end up trying to put my feet in the pillow bit which doesnt work then having to work it out.

Hope that helps, I have one of the jag bags on my xmas list

http://www.terrevistatrails.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=73

Thanks for the advice mate.
But which one do you find warmer?
Iv always got on ok with my fleece liner but for bulk I'm thinking of changing.
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got mine from Bob at BPL, not sure if he still sells them now though.

The seam stitching pulled away on a long trek this year but it was easy to fix when I got home. I'd recommend silk as they keep you warm when it's cold but cool when it's hot, great for not stinking up your best doss bag in summer.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Having just weighed my fleece liner it comes in at 700grams!!
If I can get the same warmth from silk it's gotta be the way forward tbh!!

Leave only footprints take only memories

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE