Siliconizing a hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
OK, this (hopefully) is a daft and pointless question!

I have aquired a new reindeer hide and I'm presuming that I can siliconize it myself - the hide will be used on the ground and I want to give it a bit of protection.

Is it just a case of applying bog-standard silicon 'gel/goo/gunk' to the back of the hide and then working it in, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Deerman

Aug 29, 2009
North Yorks
www.hcleathers.co.uk
from what i can gather the silicon process is a separate process carried out after the tanning of the hide with a silicon sheet heat adhered to the flesh side of the skin
may be you could use seam seal or something like that "Scotch Guard " as an after market water repellent i know that native American indians smoke tan their buffalo hides to make them more waterproof i will look up the article and post it here

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I used the spray that you put of nubuck leather on mine seems to of worked and it can still be rolled up
PA090150.jpg

Twodogs

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The only other stuff I can think of is McKlords waterproofer. I've used it many times and it is fantastic leaving no smell or residue when dry.

http://www.mcklordsdirect.com/product_page.asp?prodid=38

I don't suppose you know if the McKlords can be used on canvas do you ?

The description woould suggest it does but it refers to general tents and clothing etc, I didn't know if it was more suited to modern nylon fabrics etc.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheers chaps, some good info and products listed there. I've a few projects on the go so I might have to have a play with the various products :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE