Silent Winter woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Only you can make that decision but if it gives you the freedom you need now vs having it replaced again a couple of decades from now..... I look forward to seeing you skip through a wildflower meadow one day ;)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only you can make that decision but if it gives you the freedom you need now vs having it replaced again a couple of decades from now..... I look forward to seeing you skip through a wildflower meadow one day ;)

I do look wonderful I admit. :)

I got a very sensible bit of advice from a lady I know who’d been putting up with knee pain for years and was finally getting it replaced. She reckoned she’d be far less likely to be wanting to trek, camp etc in her late seventies and eighties than she is now, and to get it done and enjoy life while you can because you never know what’s around the corner. Made a lot of sense really.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I do look wonderful I admit. :)

I got a very sensible bit of advice from a lady I know who’d been putting up with knee pain for years and was finally getting it replaced. She reckoned she’d be far less likely to be wanting to trek, camp etc in her late seventies and eighties than she is now, and to get it done and enjoy life while you can because you never know what’s around the corner. Made a lot of sense really.

Also, how long between consultations and operation? Will that mean you’re off your feet for Summer? Will you need to arrange practical support while you are recovering and if so, can you arrange it now? Is there anything at all that is worrying you that needs to be sorted before you can make the decision? Roses, beer or chocolates ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your silent woods thread rang a (quiet) bell this morning. The woodland alongside our back fence is so quiet just now, but when you see just how icy everything is, it's no wonder.
This is the bog myrtle that I grow in a planter....and look at the ice thorns on it !

img%5D

Beautiful afternoon though, but so cold that the birch's are covered in those same spiky crystals.

img%5D

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" My favourite creature to see any time of year is the fox. "
Fox rates high on my list too. I know the town Foxes are sometimes quite bold and seemingly fearless,but there is a Vixen that I often see in the wood that almost ignores me.
Practising with my bow one sunny day, I suddenly realised I was being watched. She seemed intrigued by the hum of the bow string and stood watching me. Even waited while I put the bow down and picked up the camera...

Peeping round the tree...'What's that strange noise you are making human?':D

'Ah! I see, I'll just carry on foraging then...'

She knows she's safe... Only ever stumps or deadfall..:biggrin:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Our wood is far from silent at the moment. I went down to do a few hours work yesterday but ended up just walking around for a couple of hours before I got anything done :)

We have a resident pair of Ravens in the wood but today they were joined by at least four more pairs all making a real racket. They were flying over the canopy, twisting and turning in their paired tight formation, then tumbling down only to glide out over the fields before returning - I could watch them all day. I've said before, the variety of sounds these intelligent birds make is awesome. The resident pair don't normally make a lot of fuss when I go in; they're used to me - but the others were quite obviously annoyed that I was intruding on this piece of wilderness. Then a buzzard flew over mewing as it passed and they really got upset!

They'll start breeding any day now taking advantage of the carrion the cold weather will bring.

There's noticeably more birdsong in the wood now as well; I look forward to that increasing and waking to the sound of the dawn chorus :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's no sound in the forest here. Even the scream of snowmobiles is suppressed by the -30C cold.
Bird song here is mating and territorial, not for ages. And too fleckkin' cold, maybe another couple of weeks of this.
The Ravens won't talk until the end of February (day length?). Then they jabber all day long in my spruce.
The 3 trees are maybe 50' tall, 12-16" thick and no more than 15 paces from my front door.

The deer trail across my front yard has been used by one mule deer doe, night before last.
One again last night. Often 4 of them, must be snuggled up against somebody's hot tub, as usual.
They aren't even stopping to browse the apple tree twigs.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
There's no sound in the forest here. Even the scream of snowmobiles is suppressed by the -30C cold.
Bird song here is mating and territorial, not for ages. And too fleckkin' cold, maybe another couple of weeks of this.
The Ravens won't talk until the end of February (day length?). Then they jabber all day long in my spruce.
The 3 trees are maybe 50' tall, 12-16" thick and no more than 15 paces from my front door.

The deer trail across my front yard has been used by one mule deer doe, night before last.
One again last night. Often 4 of them, must be snuggled up against somebody's hot tub, as usual.
They aren't even stopping to browse the apple tree twigs.

Photos of deer does in a hot tub or it didn’t happen. ;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll take a look. I did not say that they get into the hot tub.
The tubs are normally covered with an insulated cap to trap the heat.
The deer bed down around the tub with their backs up against the side.

I know one guy who can afford to turn on his tub, just to watch the deer!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Anyway, here's a couple of the does bedded outside my fence.
There are 2 wood carvings attached to every post.
If you look closely, you can see the young grape vines on the fence wire.
Fraom the master bedroom window.

DeerB.JPG

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE