Sierra Zip Woodburning Camping Stove

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've been viewing this stove from afar for a few years, weight aside has anybody got any experience or thoughts on them. Don't know how to insert a shortcut but it can be found at www.campmor.com. Thought's appreciated.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
SCOMAN said:
I've been viewing this stove from afar for a few years, weight aside has anybody got any experience or thoughts on them. Don't know how to insert a shortcut but it can be found at www.campmor.com. Thought's appreciated.
Sadly there are lots of reviews on various websites complaining of its weight and stability problems. Several sites list several necessary modifications to make the stove into a top ten stoves to have, these include a reduction in weight, some way of stabilising the pot stand. It’s Simple things that let it down, like adding a simple arrow to the battery pack so you don’t fit the battery backwards (the motor will run either way, but if you run it the wrong way it will suck heat and soot downwards, running the risk of damaging/.destroying the motor and or the wires)

I would say that the stove may be a useful summer stove when dry wood is readily available. But the need to constantly tend the stove and poor design where you have to remove the cooking pot to add fuel, this would limit the times when I would consider the weight of the stove worth lugging about.

Were I to need a wood burning stove, I make something along the lines of Nimblewill Nomad Stove, a flat pack slot together stove, and a copper blow pipe to act as the air supply.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
This is the way ti go they don't make them no more hard to find one could build if he had to can come close just need some good pic. for blue print

pocketstove2.jpg

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I dont see the need for a fan on the sierra zip . A blacksmith forge runs at very high temperatures , hence it needs the blower to achieve the desired heat . a cooking stove running on wood or charcoal shoul get plenty hot enough to boil your water etc . Adding a fan to the equation will just burn your fuel a lot faster and waste possibly prescious resourses . Even on a forge it is easy to get too hot by putting to much air through it , i managed to get mine so hot the fire bricks and the exterior were glowing bright red . Melted the tueyre straight off !!!!
It should be reasonably simple to knock up a small take down wood burning stove that would fit in your back pack . It should also cost a lot less than thirty notes !!!
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE