Sierra camping stove with fan

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Hi all, i've been using siera stoves for about 3 years now. I started off with the standard steel version, which was very efficient, albeit a bit heavy and you had to be careful with stability. I wanted something lighter, so following something i had seen on the net, ordered a titanium mug, and converted the steel burner to a titanium one! Its trial and error as to how many holes you drill in the converted burner. I dont think i had it at optimum, as although it worked ok, it did'nt burn as fiercely as the standard version. I put this down to it being a single skin, as i think the steel ones are double, and being smaller. Recently, with the good exchange rate, ordered a proper titanium one from Sierra. Cracking design that sorts out the faults of the steel version. Burns very hot, it has a different fan assembly, which has fold out aluminium legs, which are very stable. The battery compartment it fixed to the fan assembly, with just the switch remoted by a cable.Battery compartment is marked with a positive sign, so no problems there. Just weighed it on some crapy home scales, comes in at 300grams with a battery fitted.
I use it a lot, from camping in the Beacons (you get used to colecting the odd bits of wood, dried dung, pine cones etc as you go) to days out on the beech with the kids, using discarded lolly sticks and driftwood to get a brew on, plus the kids like toasting marshmallows on it. Its also acceptable on formal campsites, but gives you that feeling of having a proper fire, (a small one!), and the kids like sitting around it feeding it.
Last point on customer service. Sierra have been very good, you can order direct from there website for the UK, but i think the titanium models are built in batches, so you may have to wait a few weeks if they are between builds. Thouroughly recommended. Mark

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Thanks for that kram , i am making a fan powerd stove at the moment using a computer fan , im looking for a set of fold out legs do you know where i can buy them in the uk ?

And do you have web address for the sierra stove in the uk

Cheers

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Hi hiker, sorry, no idea on the legs. The website is U.S, google sierra stoves and it'll come up. The motor in the sierra stoves is the same as in a music cassette, which go on forever. They do sell replacements, though, for about $7. Good luck with the build, mark

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Yeah your right scoops about making them , small metal hinges seems the simple way to go with legs bolted on

Thanks for the info Kram about the moter being the same as in music cassette
im sure there is a old one lying round the house somewhere

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE