shrub id?

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I know this must come up all the time, but I'd really appreciate if someone could ID this shrub from a nearby garden? Think it may be raspberry?

bush.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If those wee white flowers are part of it, have a sniff at the leaves, it looks awfully like one of the currants or rasps :D and they're in flower like that just now in my garden.

cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I reckon it's a flowering currant. There's small green fruit in the middle like currants but I think it's still a bit too early for any of the edible ones to have set yet.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
definatly some type of current but its hard to tell when the fruit is not ripe. could be a black or red current, gooseberry or posably an ornemental current which are grown just for their flowers.

pete

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Leaves are too small and I can't see any thorns so that rules out gooseberry. Flowers appear to be in the wrong place for raspberries, they appear more one the end of stalks - does it have any thorns? I'd expect the flowers to be pink for a flowering currant and the leaves to have some red shading for a white currant. So, either red or a black currant and I'd go for blackcurrant.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh well....jam's always good...they make great tarts, they freeze well too, I'm told they make good wine but I've not tried that.
cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The best and easiest to make jam is Blackcurrant jam and it goes very well with good vanilla ice cream.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE