Showing off some pine pitch

Joey_Numbers

Aug 25, 2010
California
Hello all, made some pine pitch this weekend after finding a tree that was practically a faucet for the stuff. MAJOR insect activity here. Collected about a pound of resin, could have collected 20 more if I had a ladder.
Step1.jpg

This is about 20% of what I collected, I only work with little amounts at a time.
Step2.jpg

To act as a filter I poked some holes in a soda can, help remove the bark and needles (and little white grubs)
Step3a.jpg

My campfire, on high.
Step3b.jpg

Pine pitch slowly melting
Step4.jpg

Step5.jpg

Here, if you look closely in the middle of the can, you can see the little white grub critter that was killing the tree, death to the invaders!
Step6.jpg

Doesn't look very appetizing does it?
Step7.jpg

After all the sap has melted away from the debris the can is removed and you continue to boil away the sticky aromatics.
Step8.jpg

The can worked like a charm! The little white spots you see is corn starch, keeps my hands from getting too sticky.
Step9a.jpg

Step9b.jpg

My final product, looks like peanut brittle. Haven't decided what I want to do with it yet, just enjoying the learning process. I have some beeswax and sawdust around to make some cutler's resin though.
Stepfinalproduct.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Great post mate, and welcome.
Now...just how radioactive is Mountain Dew? or was it B complex vitamin deficiency :)

Cheers
Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE