show your recycled Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
ok, i love making my own stuff for the fact that its cheap or free and it makes my gear more personal to me.
so im starting this thread by asking you to show and tell bits of gear that you have made from junk that has a lot of use to your set up.
now you can do a tutorial on how to make your item or you can just show the finnishing product.

I will start with my simple match boxes.
take a chewing gum tin
528488a8-7805-1ed5.jpg

cover it with camo sticky tape
528488a8-783d-8ece.jpg

put water proof matches inside, dont forget to ad the strikers now, there is even room for tinder ;)
52848baf-78bc-373a.jpg

there u have a match box
5284f897-7916-0591.jpg

here is my mini egg container version, i wrapped it with tire inner tube
52848baf-796f-5a38.jpg

in the top is the matches
52848baf-79c8-2768.jpg

and in the bottem is a tealite candle and cotten pads
52848baf-7a15-9a65.jpg

there you have, look forwards to seeing other peoples recycled gear. ;) monkeyboy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The leather pouches I sell are all from recycled leather
BUSHCRAFTERPOUCHES.jpg

The shirt and smock I made were from recycled blankets
Merinoshirtfromablanket.jpg

Oct25752.jpg

Pot hangers from bits of a pasting table
Firstforgings.jpg

Flint strikers from old files

DSCF2181.jpg

Just a small sample of my recycling activities....
I like recycling!

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
My best so far is from some used engine parts, a gazebo out of a skip and some coppiced ash that needed pruning... the heater was an old calor bottle VERY carefully cut up ;)
46580_1507295316787_1066438695_1464353_3905283_n.jpg

LOVE all your upcycled stuff, John... well, everyones here is fab, nice and inspiring thread, guys!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
My wood is 40 minutes from the nearest road/track and deep inside a much larger area of woodland. Hard going with a Bergen if I'm going for more than 3-4 days at a time, which I do often. There's no clean water nearby so that's why I 'recycled' this old golf trolley..Makes water hauling a lot easier..
greenwood005.jpg
001-7.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Here's a few of my creations..

A strip of leather from an old coat I made a swing guard and an axe sheath from..

cst19.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Empty C02 capsules I cut and turned into fire starting kits, one with matches and the other with a ferro rod...

DSCF1316.jpg

many hobo stoves from bean cans..

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

I turned an old neglected hatchet into very usable bearded axe..

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

I cut a hook knife out of an old saw blade, still needs a handle but it's good and sharp..

SK1.jpg

I had an old beaten up met cleaver I recycled into a nice throwing knife.. (not entirely finished yet..)

HMK1.jpg

HMK4.jpg

HMK3.jpg

I needed a work bench a while abck so used panels from an old desk, I had lent my saw out so I used a drill to vut it out..

WB1.jpg

And one for grandad.. a corn cob pipe ;)

P1.jpg

I had lots of fun and most of my work is useable! can't argue with those results :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Love to see this stuff - my only suggestion is not original but .....

...you can get 35mm film containers free eg from Boots photography sections. I use them to store vaseline soaked cotton wool pads in. But could have lots of uses for small items. They seem to be water proof but not actually tested them as not necessary for purpose.

Make sure you get ones with lids that fit tightly - there are different types and they are often separated in the box they chuck them in

By the way - is it me or is there a general lack of metal containers with tight fitting lids - maybe I should use more shoe polish/buy more boiled sweets/duraglit

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
By the way - is it me or is there a general lack of metal containers with tight fitting lids - maybe I should use more shoe polish/buy more boiled sweets/duraglit

There is a 'Factory Outlet' shop locally who sell a range of scented candles which come in lightweight screw top tins. Sizes range from just about Tea candle size to a deep shoe polish tin size. I put the tin in boiling water which allows the candle to slide out quite easily. Candle goes to someone who likes smelly things...I get to keep the tins..

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
There is a 'Factory Outlet' shop locally who sell a range of scented candles which come in lightweight screw top tins. Sizes range from just about Tea candle size to a deep shoe polish tin size. I put the tin in boiling water which allows the candle to slide out quite easily. Candle goes to someone who likes smelly things...I get to keep the tins..

Good idea - I'll keep an eye out for something similar - may even get some brownie points

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
I use film canisters to store catapult ammunition with the size and material written on the side. Will likely be filling some with fire making gear too. Also thinking of using them for my meds while I'm away from home.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
A morning bump, coutesey of ma rocket stove :) Actually this prototype doesnt work so well because the interior chimney isn't far enough from the fire, I should have cut the 90 degree fire bit at the bottom and added a small section to lengthen it.... live, curse then learn... ;)
308622_2309698096355_1066438695_2644466_1850474774_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE