Should I bother restoring this billhook?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was sent a very rusty billhook by someone on here (and I reckon now I paid too much for it... :(). After brushing the rust off with an angle grinder mounted wire brush, I see it appears to be made by Bulldog - all the threads on here don't rate them.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Sounds like you have done half the work. If its got a handle then just linseed oil it and sharpen the edge. Edge shouldn't be too keen, so give it quite a high angle and get it reasonably straight. Billhooks don't have to be fantastic, just have the heft to do the work.

Its a work tool, so don't worry too much about it. If you do a lot of work with a billhook then you will know what you want, until that time most "will do".

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
You've started restoring it.. you might as well finish it and get some use out of it.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Bulldog, OK, not the best of tools out there, but will do a good job, especially if kept sharp and in good condition.

Seems like you are able to do that, like others have said, use it (and with a little maintenance) I think you will be happy with it and it will give you good service.

Keep an edge on it, enjoy, sharp blades are not new technology :).

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Got a picture??

Balls to the brand name mate, and those who look down on them!

Get it fixed up, clean and enjoy playing with it until you're bored and trade it. :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I do have pictures but I'll post a new thread once I've made more progress. It doesn't have a handle and the tang was broken so having to be a little creative...

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I may be misremembering but I think bulldog are less favoured because they are a bit more of a lump? If that's the case then is there any worth in thinning it down some what?

As to the tang - weld a new one on? I would happily look at doing that for you (at no cost) but fear postage may make it uneconomical. If you don't want to go the welded route then you can also rivet a new tang on. If you want some pointers, I can dig something out.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Spandit you mention a damaged tang, It would be probably truthful to say that I use a billhook daily (often for several hours a day) the more you use it the more ways you find to abuse it, from laying hedges to clearing out reeds, brush, nettles/brambles, chopping wood digging holes etc. etc…..It is to a large extent a ‘chopping’ tool rather than a cutting tool and there is an awful lot of ‘leverage’ created by that long blade with a good swing of the arm, a dodgy tang is something to be very wary of (think loose fitting axe head). I know from your other threads and comments that you certainly have use for one (and the uses will increase in time) £10 will get you a very good useable Tool from eBay, it won’t be pretty and it won’t have crowds of people gathering around you wanting to have a hold of it but it will help to do whatever the job is at the time a little more safely.

With a view to Stews post, I am not trying to slight his welding or riveting skills in anyway (or indeed your own creative skills), just a warning from a someone that has tried his own 'repairs' in the past.

D.B.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks but this will be my wife's tool and will get very light use. I'm happy with the repair - the tang was just a bit short so there will be plenty in the handle. I'll reveal all when I post the thread.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I may be misremembering but I think bulldog are less favoured because they are a bit more of a lump? If that's the case then is there any worth in thinning it down some what?

As to the tang - weld a new one on? I would happily look at doing that for you (at no cost) but fear postage may make it uneconomical. If you don't want to go the welded route then you can also rivet a new tang on. If you want some pointers, I can dig something out.

That's a very generous offer, thank you. You're right, though, not economical. It's actually quite a light blade, especially after the rust has eaten away so much!

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I have a couple of ancient billhooks made in France. They are solid and good tools, but when I took them out from the shed this week, they were rusty, and the handle developed large crackes on the wood.

What is the best way clean the rust? I have WD40, and steel wool. But do they need to be cleaned up? They are going to be used in the garden chopping woods and clearing the ground, which can be wet and muddy.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have a couple of ancient billhooks made in France. They are solid and good tools, but when I took them out from the shed this week, they were rusty, and the handle developed large crackes on the wood.

What is the best way clean the rust? I have WD40, and steel wool. But do they need to be cleaned up? They are going to be used in the garden chopping woods and clearing the ground, which can be wet and muddy.

Just the rust on the surface? Wire wheel/brush, some sand paper and a good clean with soapy water and then oil. :)

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Just the rust on the surface? Wire wheel/brush, some sand paper and a good clean with soapy water and then oil. :)

Yup, great info thank you Samon. :)

I tried cleaning them with wd40 and newspaper crunched up last night. This morning they look kinda dull. The rust seems gone though, its just the blades look dull.

I think I will have to fill the cracks on the wooden handle with glue through time. The handles are solid though. I dont think i will ever restore working billhooks because they get soiled fast soon out the door.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle

Would you mind sharing a picture i would really like that see them they sound cool

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE