shotgun shells

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never seen the mallet reloader - seen hand ones for rifle and pistol cartridges though.

There are load table books chris - wads can be bought or made. Components are available from all proper gun shops (they will want to see your ticket of course). Shotguns are pretty easy because they take a standardish load and a standardish weight of shot. Rifles are more trick with different bullet weights and shapes, different powder, primers etc.

Red

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I put together this call with a fired Winchester 12 GA hull.

Prep the hull.
Punch out the fired primer ( can use a punch and hammer). Clean the hull thoroughly with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush. Dry the hull with a towel. Depending on the size of your closed reed, you may need to drill the primer pocket a little larger. If you want, you can use a bit of brass polish to shine the brass part of the hull. I used Flitz media polish.

A closed reed "squeaker" I kept from a broken call (on the left). You can get these from call maker suppliers or you can use one from an old pet toy or childs toy, too.
DSCN1553.jpg

The prepped hull. I did not have to drill this one as my reed was perfect size for the primer pocket.
DSCN1556.jpg

Insert the closed reed into the primer pocket. If you would like, a spot of super glue here before you seat the reed fully.
DSCN1558.jpg

Seat the reed fully and let the glue dry, if used.
DSCN1559.jpg

Here the call is placed on my call lanyard on a clipped call drop. In clockwise from the top. A red lense LED light. Tally-Ho open reed predator call by Tal Lockwood. Mountain Man squeaker by Dave Paul. The newly made Shotgun Shell Squeaker by me.
DSCN1561.jpg

Happy hunting,

Gordy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Gordy thats waesome, never thought of using an old dog toy for a sweeker either, thanks for the thread mate..........

regards.

chris.................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE