Short walk

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Went for a short walk round the South Downs yesterday morning, these certainly made it all the more enjoyable:) .

Buzzard15-3-08.jpg

Buzzard15-3-08B.jpg

Buzzard15-3-08A.jpg

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Good, that's what I thought they were as well! So what are a pair of buzzards doing over the M6? I've seen them around before so they're not just passing through.

Chris

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
They were probably utilising the thermal energy rising from the surface of the road to get some height - just a guess

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
They were probably utilising the thermal energy rising from the surface of the road to get some height - just a guess

Spot on I reckon! I used to love gliding around the Black Mountains, circling up in a thermal with buzzards doing the same, but a lot more efficiently, on the inside. Different surfaces seem to produce good thermals at different times of the day. Roads being black of course are excellent though around mid Wales there weren't enough of big enough size (ie motorway) to produce anything too substantial... head over a forestry in the late afternoon or evening though and there'd always be some good ones.

Nice pics Maver

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice piccs Maver! Got a good few Red Kites starting to appear this side of the Downs now which is nice

Red

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Saw a couple of Red Kites last year around the Pulborough area, first ones i have ever seen around here, spoke with one of my contacts at the RSPB and he wouldn't confirm nor interestingly deny they were nesting in West Sussex.

Lets hope the Kites are as successful as the Buzzards have been around here, it's quite common in the warmer months to see half a dozen or more thermalling, not that long ago seeing a Buzzard was a really momentous occasion, now they are fairly commonplace, mind you they still make you stop and watch them - messmerising:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Our record in the the thermal over the cottage is 14 so far :) (buzzards that is). Mind you the farm is a game shoot so their numbers are high due to the plentiful food supply (muchos bunny too). The kites are certainly nesting now in a few spots around the Hampshire end of the Downs. Had one miss my head by 3 feet the other day - we'll go see em one day when the weather perks up if you like?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE