Short tailed vole....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What a day for nature!

Just before leaving the cottage, BB said - look in the cherry!. The local peregrine was perched in the top. We walked across the back field and this little fellow was busy scampering around

2304748607_4da13e776f_o.jpg

Two buzzards were screaming overhead at the time but the little fellah was safe - he hid under the water trough. The rest of the walk showed us a sparrow hawk, a near miss from a Red Kite as it took off over our heads, a kestrel and multiple gulls etc.- all loving the high winds over the Downs.

The new born calves were springing all over the fields (got some photos of them too if anyone wants).

I became a little sad walking down the lane coming home - I saw (and photographed but again not shown as it might be gross - not sure) a beautiful weasle and a gorgeous brock. Both clearly struck glancing blows by cars (they looked perfect - not crushed at all). Why can't people drive slowly down single track roads? That lane is a haven for wildlife - when its not a graveyard :(

Anyway - got home in time to be be mooned - by Mrs Greater Spotted :). Her husband is on the feeder behind - a nice sight that restored my mood ;)

2304811361_d6473817cf_o.jpg

Hope you all had a chance to enjoy the brisk weather?

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Always nice to see your wildlife getting on with life Red, but seeing dead animals beside the road is always sad...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep I can cope with the normal game birds etc. but Brocks always sadden me and the weasel really got to me. I've only ever seen two round here so its a loss :(

Handome fellow too

Red

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Beautifull shots there red thank you for sharing them with us. I share your views on the country lanes i have to drive them every day to tend our pony, and it always gets my back up seeing people drive them with no consideration for wildlife.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Great vole. I love this time of year when everything starts to wake up again.

The lane I live off is the same, the national speed limit sign seems to mean you must get as near as possible to 60 at all times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE