Shooting pictures (No dead stuff!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just wondered if people may wish to post pictures of their relevant areas that they shoot on. Just a quick few shots to show what you have, if you can include quarry pictures on your land before any lead injections then that would be good too! I've got a couple, nothing great as this is just something I have thought of. I would like to build up a rough idea of the area The Ratbag and I shoot on over time, so I'll start you off with the few pictures I have just from walking about over the last year or so.

I'll kick off with a picture of The Ratbag! His identity has been protected for your own sanity! :p

08040600039greyblock.jpg

This was a few days back, a spooked rabbit in an area that we rarely see rabbits was the object of quite some attention. Behind the fence is Silverwood, we are not allowed to shoot in there and a public footpath runs very close to the fence so we have to be quite careful when shooting there. The direction The Ratbag is facing is towards the railway line that runs NE-SW. Further along the line, behind where the picture is taken from, there are more rabbits who all seem to be fairing OK as opposed to the other rabbits in the area that are suffering from Mixy. Behind The Ratbag, to the left of the picture, another public footpath goes through the farmland, which joins up to the picture below showing my two girls (one young, one old!) coming towards me. We have to be very careful not to disturb people who could possibly think we are crazies running about with rifles! Most people are OK, but you get the odd one who stops and stares in the day time.

0802280003block.jpg

Another shot shows the field that usually shows sign of rabbits, with Abigail running towards me and the missus with blanked out face. She'll kill me if I show her face on a public forum! (Look to the left of the picture and you can just make out the Farmer's Dads' house. That'll become apparent later.) This field is totally open, to the left it rises and crests at the top with a bowl depression. This is where they sit and it is extremely difficult to creep up, spot the quarry and then set up for a shot. Along the top of the ridge is the boundary between our farmers' land and Old Toms' land, which he won't give us permission to shoot on. The rabbits that sit in the bowl seem to be the very fringe of the warren and the majority sit in Old Toms' field relatively safe. The fox does OK in there I expect!

0802280007block.jpg

To show how close the footpath is to where The Ratbag was sat, here is a picture showing two of my girls (one young, one old!) on that very footpath a few weeks back or so. It was very cold that day, the missus was not happy and therefore again, she has the black square of hiding! the field is just behind the fence and that was where The Ratbag was sat.

HPIM2793.jpg

Here is another part of the farm that we often shoot on. The white farm house belonging to our farmers' Dad is out of shot just to the left of this picture. Rabbits live along the right hand side in the wood line of the second field back (where the rook is) and come out on top of the rise. Last year, we did quite well here although the mixy has hit them hard here. This is where I shot the infected rabbit shown in one of my previous posts. They used to fill the field in the fore ground too, but we haven't seen any in there since last year. This field is known as the Gate of Hate as there is a particularly nasty gate that if used gives the game away. It is a solid wooden gate that also weighs a ton and is held on at the hinges with blue string and a prayer!

The rooks live in the woods to the right there, and there are hundreds of them. We will never make a dent on their numbers with air rifles, not unless we start concentrating on controlling their numbers and bait/decoy them down. Pigeons also live all over the farm, we've had limited success with them as we don't have access to a hide. We hope to try out for one this year. the orientation of this picture is facing towards The Ratbags' back in the first picture, so we have quite a sizeable piece of land to shoot.

Here's a view of The Gate of Hate, looking towards the rook woods. The footpath that runs right through the farmland is where this picture was taken from. The twit in the picture is yours truly!

DSCF0127.jpg

There is more which I will add to over the coming weeks and months, but you will notice that we have minimum cover as it is primarily sheep grazing land. There is a lovely beech wood with pigs and that has many squirrels and pigeons in it during the warmer months. We don't shoot the pigs, in fact I like to stay as far away as possible from them, especially Elvis the nasty boar!

There is a final field which we have seen badgers and a large tawny owl, I have no pictures of that apart from the pigs that sit in the corner. Don't aaaaaaah! too much, the piglets are from last year and were probably made into bacon months ago! :D

HPIM2783.jpg

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'll try an post some shots of my shoot and the land My brother inlaw has permission for, 500 or so acres the jammy swine, mind you he is the tractorman for the landowner in question and I do get to accompany him shooting, which is nice, but I seem to scare every thing off, so much so that Dunk ( My bro inlaw) thinks I'm some form of evil rabbit Demigod :confused:.

Nice Ultra BTW, single or multishot? What do you shoot with out of interest?

Found some pics of part of my shoot and my trusty .22 Long Arm (1974 BSA Mercury .22, Older than me :D )

Merc2.jpg

Merc1.jpg

This is take below my father in laws farmhouse, its behind the trees on the right, the line of trees above the bales in the distance is the boundry of the land and off to the left is the main railway between Edinburgh and Aberdeen, I'll try and post more soon.

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Scotland is the place for bunnies so I'm told! Looks like a good place to shoot. I use a Rapid 7 in .22, The Ratbag has the single shot version in .22, but he also has a S410 in .177. I have an old Meteor in .22 that needs sorting out that would be good for ratting and maybe tree rats up close, but I normally use the Rapid.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Once upon a time we could do a fair bit of shooting here in Brazil but now they are too busy saving us from ourselves to risk it.

My daughter with the .177
bperinhunternl5.jpg

My pack with the Rossi .38 special.
stsurvivalgeardh4.jpg

Shooting and seeing family again are the only two things I'm looking forward to with our move back to the US for a year. That will be in August. Mac

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
A snap of a part of our farm shoot doesn't show much of the land scape, which is based around the ashbeds of a redundant power station (I know that sounds like a dump) but it is gradually grassing over; trees are growing like wild fire and the rabbits love the ash for it's ease of burrowing. the only snag is whilst ferreting; it's easy digging but extremley deep !

dscf0850qd8.jpg

Note the dutch oven on the go, just in line with the barrel, an integral part of the day !!

dscf0885od5.jpg

Eating again !! Pheasant feeders make a good table, this is a more established part, there is a release pen about 20 yards behind the 'sofa'.

dscf0447nd2.jpg

The release pen in want of some repair during a February roost shoot

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Sorry to dominate the thread but this area that a friend has permission to ferret in N. Yorkshire is IMHO spectacular; we dont have shooting rights just work the dog and ferrets

besttq1.jpg

starbottomau0.jpg

1bestsl6.jpg

Again apologies for the take over but you did ask for pics. No more promise.:eek:

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Thats a good looking dog you have there Smokoe, if you dont mind me asking, how is it bred and what size is it.

I've got to be honest here it's my friend's dog. It's a greyhound cross Kelpie which is an Ausralian sheep dog.
He's an absolute perfectionist when it comes to his dogs and trains them to a standard that puts most labs and springers to shame.

He scoured UK and bought the sire (the Kelpie) and dame both as pups trained them both then put them together after he was happy with their ability, then he would only sell the pups to people whom he personally vetted !! Alas I cannot give one the work it needs or I would have had one like a shot.

I'll post a few action pics on another thread if anyones interested as this is Spamels and I've taken over enough He also stated no dead animals.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gentlemen, I have already shifted this thread into Fair Game simply because of the sheer volume of guns shown, now the entire thread has shifted from landscape (with people hunting) to photos of guns.

I'm going to split the thread and ask that it is returned to images of shooting areas.

I'll name the new thread, "Hunting Weapons", and ask that the guns shown are intended for that purpose.
Guns primarily intended for hunting people aren't acceptable. Please remove images to comply.

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A couple more from the farm, first one showing the bowl at the top of the field by Old Toms'. This shot is taken facing towards the Gate of Hate, which is just to the left of the barn roof in the centre of the picture. You can plainly see the depression, the rabbits come out along the fence line, but it is really difficult to get into a good shooting position on them. Our permission is a real field craft tester!

0804130002.jpg

Second one is looking left from the previous shot, going along the fence line dividing our shoot from Old Toms' place. The fence line carries on for a couple of hundred metres to the back of Silverwood Scout camp and then we usually cut down to the sparse wooded area with the stream. I'm waiting for good weather for pictures of that, it looks really nice sometimes. In this picture, the wind was not blowing at all but you can plainly see the direction of the prevailing wind as the hawthorn tree by The Ratbag has grown in the position it is normally blown by the wind, and it gets pretty strong up there! This is also the area I saw a kestrel a while back that was flying about ten feet above my head! That was on the rise in the distance, by the concrete fence posts.

0804130005.jpg

If you were to turn left 90 degrees, Tom has planted christmas trees to bring in a bit more money for himself. Good luck to him though as we have already seen the rabbits in there getting amongst them and they are probably eating the fresh new shoots! We also saw the fox in the field last Sunday, the first time I've seen him this year at any rate.

More to come soon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE