Shield for a tripod stove

L

lewismansell

I've got a small Tripod stove that goes on top of the gas cans, and I was wondering if in the interest of saving energy, it's worth making a small shield to go around the tripod / flame? I was thinking of just taking a big empty baaked beans can to cover it, putting small holes in the bottom and top to allow air to come in and feed the flames a bit. Any feedback?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW if its a gas canister with those can top stoves you shouldn't really fully enclose the can too. Perhaps those foil windshields are better off made smaller so they only wrap on three sides with a decent air gap. Check the can in case it does get hot. Shouldn't be too much of a problem with common sense but exploding cans does happen. I think there was a clip on youtube once.

The lightweight foil from BPL-UK is very light but also not too durable. If you fold it a lot the folds do fail and snap. If you do get it cut it into the exact size you want with holes were you want them and try to pack it away with as few fold as possible, perhaps roling it up in a pot or varying where the folds are each time it is packed away.

The Primus windshields are very good option but £10. You can make a windshield out of cheap baking trays from a supermarket. Those use once and throw away types.

L

lewismansell

You can make a windshield out of cheap baking trays from a supermarket. Those use once and throw away types.

Much better idea than a tin can. Will add them to the shopping list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE