Shemag, do you use it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Wear mine as a face covering whilst hunting, another draped over my scope/barrel/silencer with a scrim scarf when hide shooting.

I also find them ideal for wearing over your shoulders to prevent rucksack straps chaffing or cutting in and a good insect cover for the opening of my bivvi bag.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
you know what, i dont have a picture of it. but when i was on exped in peru, the quechua people use a smilar style thing but a lot bigger to create a bag. my bag broke, out came the shemag. i basically put my stuff into the middle and then tied the corners into a knot across my chest so it hung behind my head down my bag. it actually worked amazingly well and was a godsend at the time. kinda looked like a tiny old woman but meh, no one was there to see it i guess!

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I've a thin equivalent that I was given. I think it was from Next and probably cost more than a 'real' one...

I use it on my motorbike as a neck warmer when it's fairly warm outside.

Last edited:

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Yes, I have used them on a number of occasions. There are many different types out there, from many different countries and useful in many varied environments.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I often use the 'operation desert storm' issue one. Its standard pattern in sand colour, but with rough cut edges with no tassels. I just use it like an ordinary scarlf in winter.

teknohippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Watford & Apsley, Herts
I've never considered using one as a towel, but I almost certainly have at some point done so. I mean I've never considered not packing the towel because I've packed the shemagh, if you get my drift.

I use it for all sorts of things as mentioned above, although I'm rarely cold enough to need it wrapped round my head, they are very good at generating heat like that!

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Seems to be a very versatile bit of kit. If anyone uses it in the traditional way, whats the definitive way to tie it? Several methods seem to be used but is there an idiots one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE