Sheath For Home Made Knife

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was tasked by a member of this fine forum to make him a simple sheath with classic lines to suit a knife he has just built, he didn't want anything that looked tacticool or fussy, just something that was elegant & simple to suit his elegant knife, so after some discussion he went for one of my Dangler Sheaths and gave me his build options.

DSCN3806B.jpg

DSCN3809A.jpg

DSCN3813A.jpg

DSCN3817A.jpg

The brass poppers and D ring used keep the continuity with the brass Pommel & Bolster used in the manufacture of the knife and the dye (British Tan) contrasts wonderfully with the grain of the Walnut used for the handle of the knife.

The sheath itself is made from 3.5mm veg tan, that has been dyed, awled, sewn and finished in it's entirety by hand, i dislike using drills on my leather work, as the drill removes the leather, whereas awling the stitch holes, you are only separating the fibres and over time they will contract around the stitching and give a much tighter and in my view neater and stronger finish, plus it's the way i was taught to do it by the old Saddler who used to be in the village.:)

I still have some work to do on the sheath to get it to the standard im happy to send out, but all being well by the middle of next week it will reside with it's new owner.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Its a shame about the orange peel effect on the sheath though.

Excuse me?, if you are reffering to the markings on the surface, that is a natural part of the leathers surface and there is nothing i can do about it, shame we are not all as perfect as others like to think they are!.

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Another beautiful job as always Kepis!
He chose his options well, and look how the knife and sheath compliment each other with the brass.
I am sure you will have another very happy customer!
WELL DONE!

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Orange peel my ***!:rant:
He made my sheath and it's the best one out of the ones i have had made for me throughout the years!
Keep up the good work Kep!:notworthy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Another beautiful job as always Kepis!
He chose his options well, and look how the knife and sheath compliment each other with the brass.
I am sure you will have another very happy customer!
WELL DONE!

Cheers mate, as long as the customer is happy, that's all that matters and i know he is over the moon with it:)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Many thanks Kepis mate for making me this fine sheath, you have done exactly what I asked you to do, and more.
Looking at the last photo it is exactly as I envisioned, brass over brass with light walnut wood with a darker contrasting leather, magic.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Many thanks Kepis mate for making me this fine sheath, you have done exactly what I asked you to do, and more.
Looking at the last photo it is exactly as I envisioned, brass over brass with light walnut wood with a darker contrasting leather, magic.

Glad you like it mate, like i put in the opening post, i still have some finishing work to do on it, but it will be in your hands next week

timbox

Feb 2, 2012
worthing
Hi Kepis

I too like the simple lines that show off the quality and craftmanship and you have certainly done that. I am looking at getting myself a belt made and with you being a local lad would you be interested in making me one.

Tim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE