Shave horse.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Am in the process of making my own shave horse, am trying to size it all up, but am wondering how long to make the main body of the horse. Option a) 1000mm option b) slightly longer. 1000mm will fit in the back of the car between the wheel arches. But am not sure if it will be long enough to give me a functional horse. I'm 5'7", with not the longest legs. Will 1000mm shave horse be long enough?

If you have made a shave horse, how long is your horse? can you share a photo for inspiration?

Thanks

Julia

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can't do photo's at the moment, but I'd have thought 1000mm would be long enough for you..............To be honest, I've not found the shavehorse ideal for really long workpieces anyway, so at five foot seven I don't think you'll have any problem with a 1m base.

It wouldn't be the end of the world to make an extension to the seatbed of it if necessary in the future, now I think of it. :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
heres mine,its about 4 foot long ,couldeasily be shortened by 6-9 inches.

My finished shave horse by fishfish_01, on Flickr

That's a rather nice design and layout. Out of interest, what is the distance between the two pegs at the front, and the peg supporting the board the work rests on (sorry, I am not sure the name of the parts).

Looking at your picture is reminding me the bits that I forgot to get when I was in the woods today. Was so concentrated on getting the tree I needed for the main body of the horse.

Hopefully I can get a shave horse and a pole lathe out of this tree...

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE