Sharpening set up

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
Okay guys,

I've posted ridiculous amounts of threads about sharpening these last few days, but I think I've found my answer. I bought a cheap oil stone from B&Q yesterday and using the fine side along with my belt as a strop, I've got it as sharp as I've ever seen it since I bought it. I'd just like to know if anyone has any other advice about the subject and a quick question: in between sharpenings, should I just use the strop?

Cheers,
Curtis

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Depends a little bit on how 'fine' the fine side of your stone is. If the stone is honing rather than grinding then I would excpect that when the edge becomes noticeably dull it will need a tickle on the hone again before stropping to maintain the edge. Once sharp for the first time, this is a minutes work.

However, if the stone is a little on the course side of fine then you may prematurely wear the blade with excessive grinding caused by using the stone every time. Hard to say without feeling the stone, but my experience is that DIY store oil stones are often relatively course.

Pleased you're now getting results you're happy with :)

Scoops

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
Depends a little bit on how 'fine' the fine side of your stone is. If the stone is honing rather than grinding then I would excpect that when the edge becomes noticeably dull it will need a tickle on the hone again before stropping to maintain the edge. Once sharp for the first time, this is a minutes work.

However, if the stone is a little on the course side of fine then you may prematurely wear the blade with excessive grinding caused by using the stone every time. Hard to say without feeling the stone, but my experience is that DIY store oil stones are often relatively course.

Pleased you're now getting results you're happy with :)

Scoops

It is alittle course, but it's still fine enough to get it pretty sharp without the need for stropping, but I think it might be a honing stone, as it was with a Stanley set and was in fact labelled "honing stone".
Very confusing, DIY stores :/

Curtis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE