Sharpening/Reprofiling a Kentish Axe...A good friend recently mentioned they had a Ke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A good friend recently mentioned they had a Kentish Axe that was in need of some TLC in the sharpening department, and the axe was dropped off today to see what could be done.

The axe was destined to become a pure carving axe, so I decided to have a dabble at re-profiling the grind, removing the rough Convex and turning it into a Scandi/Convex,
with the though of the Scandi helping carving and a very fine Convex on the bevel to help with edge retention. Best of both worlds!
I tried to be conscious of this being an old axe, something that got here over a long process and rather beautiful in its-self :)

So, here go's...

The first thing to do was remove the old Convex with a well used medium metal file and also remove some minor chipping on the edge.
I sometimes find it easier (at the very start) to take the file flat/directly to the edge and file until the chips are all but removed.

Then the sharpening begins on one very blunt axe :p

Originally.
NtrT1.jpg

Grinding the bevel flat.
IGwny.jpg

4R8LT.jpg

DMT Diamond Hones... Fine/Extra Fine/Extra-Extra Fine.
KLAOP.jpg

Wet and dry (1000,2000,3000) to polish the bevel, and put a 'slight' Convex in towards the end... Top of grind to edge.
The band of slight rusting/pitting was left above the grind in keeping within context of the age.
82gCA.jpg

Lots (and lots) of stropping with Smurf Poo!
ydNDO.jpg

Needless to say, its very, very sharp.
6y3Ad.jpg

The finished product, hopefully tastefully!
aPMDm.jpg

Rt8hQ.jpg

0JLzG.jpg

I can see the attraction and effort people put into restoring older axe's...
The steel was really nice to work with and the end result it it carves 'slithers' off well seasoned hazel sticks.

The subtle Convex seems to make no difference in my limited knowledge of carving. Its a joy to slice sticks with though!!

Cheers, al.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers Robbi..!
I have some 8000/12000 Micromesh turning up in the morning. I dare say I'll spend a bit more time on it yet.

Could one of the mods please remove 'A good friend recently mentioned they had a Ke' from the title :p I'm having a mare with my wireless dropping out due to heavy snow tonight, so its copy and paste city!

Ta :)
[h=2][/h]

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
At this point I feel I need to thank Al for his work in sharpening my axe (which originally belonged to my Dad, and I don't know where he got it from or how long he had it), and also to explain the wonky handle. This was my first attempt at rehandling an axe, and I found a nice piece of apple root in a waste pile in a local orchard. I then managed to fit it backwards :eek: :rolleyes:, but the end result was very comfortable so I left it anyway. It has subsequently developed a slight sideways kink as well, but despite that I still like it, and it is very comfortable in the hand.

Many thanks to AL for his efforts here in finally restoring this to a working tool.

:You_Rock_

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Ahhh.... I didnt realise it was your fathers. Its very much working now though :)

The handle is actually very comfy. Both choked up and in normal grip. Ready to collect daytime, kettle on.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Really nice work Al and a great set of pics to go along with the description :)

I have an old Kent pattern which I reground (though not as thoroughly) to match the bevels on my Swedish carving axe and it works pretty well. It's a fair bit heavier than the SCA so I tend to use it for roughing out and it makes great kindling. Restoring an old axe is really satisfying and you've inspired me to go back and treat the edge properly :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Your welcome, and glad it was of some use! :)

I've actually started to quite like it... Going to try some fuzz sticks in the morning before it gets passed back, just to make sure all's well :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE