Sharpening problems please help!

Jun 1, 2011
Germany
Hi Guys,

I just startet "trying" to sharpen my "Gerber Prodigy" (please do not start a discusion about serrations now! :D)

I began with a "Suehiro 1000/3000" japanese dual waterstone (crap?), followed by a steelroll sharpening tool and some sandpaper, nothing did work so i looked it up here and found the following instruction:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sh...ewthread.php?do=postthread&f=12ad.php?t=10718

I followed all the steps and yet the knife stayed dull. I thought i might have changed the blade's surface somehow with my sandpaper and steel try's so i followed the steps of the above posted link two more times... and the blade is still dull, i'm not even able to cut any paper! And were not talking about shaving forearms yet, its so frustrating... please help me! :dunno:

Ps.: same problem with my Victorinox Trailmaster folder btw, it was very sharp like a week ago when it came out of the box and now it can't cut paper anymore :( (I also tried to sharpen it several times today: no results)

Greetz from Germany
David

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I began with a "Suehiro 1000/3000" japanese dual waterstone (crap?), followed by a steelroll sharpening tool and some sandpaper

Personally... If the edge had chips or damage, I would have started with sandpaper first (300 grit or so) followed by 500, 800, then whetstone 1000, 3000 followed by stropping with something like flexcut gold, and then tormek honing paste (if you want it shaving sharp).

Rough to smooth is the way to go... steelroll sharpening tool?

al.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Read this and follow the advice... It should help http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11571

2cgelop.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2011
Germany
Impressive edge for an axe, was this sharpened by following the posted thread? I defenately got to check the hardwarestore on monday ;) Thanks a lot mate!

Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE