Sharpening kit.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I need a new sharpening stone for the field. Currently I have a 300/400g alu oxide stone, and a DC4 (the ceramic side is cracked in 3 places, and when I first had it, it was rubbish)

Which stone here has the highest grit.

http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Gatco-Sharpeners/Arkansas-Pocket-Stone/p-370-209-7915/

http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Gerber-Sharpeners/Gerber-Pocket-Sharpeners/p-370-211-417/

http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Lansky-Sharpening-Systems/Lansky-Sharpening-Hones/p-370-214-2450/ < I assume the yellow/ultra fine one?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Nikola,

Of the 3 you show links for I would go for the arkansas stone for the field. I have one much like it and it's very good for a quick re-touch.
The middle one you list - assuming you mean the pen stlye one is OK, in fact it's what I tend to use for my spoon knife.
I've no experience of the lansky hones at all.

Hope this helps.

Dave

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'd say plus one on the spyderco double stuff, but it's significantly more expensive.

the arkansas stone is fine for soft carbon steels, but if you're looking to sharpen modern high end stainless steels you are going to struggle.

these things are ok, uber compact, light and effective, if you pull the rubber bits off and throw them in the bin...
http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Lansky-Sharpening-Systems/Lansky-Spyder-Sharpener/p-370-214-2455/

http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Gatco-Sharpeners/Gatco-Tri-Seps/p-370-209-409/

the first is a little longer, the second slightly finer and wider. six of one......

i still take a new DC3 over both of them though, even though the new fallkie stones are nasty. i recently lost my old really good dc3, and bought a load of bits and pieces to see what was out there.

cheers, and.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Doublestuff is fantastic. I take one with me when I'm out, weighs nothing, takes up no space at all and puts a hair shaving edge on. It's one of those pieces of kit that just punches far, far above it's weight.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I take DMT Diafolds for secondary bevel knives and a home made wet and dry paper sharpening kit for carbon scandi grind blades.

lucky 67

May 1, 2010
netherlands
for DMT ask longstrider from british blades,he can deliver diafolds and benchstones from DMT,also I can !
send by mobile device,grtz,Jurgen.

Jan 11, 2007
earth
Hi guys,

I am not a regular on here although I joined some years ago. There is lots of information on knife sharpening and I know the basics but I have a specific problem I hope you can help with.

I am a frequent diver and I carry a knife which only rarely gets used for cutting rope and line, thankfully never been called upon in emergency desptite 23 years of diving.

A dive knife is a big compromise, it can be as much about the scabbard as the knife. I have an Underwater Kinetics Blue Tang blunt tip made from 420 SS, I've had it for about 15 years. It has a straight edge that was never very sharp, a serated one that is good for ropes but is getting blunt and a line cutter that is not great either anymore.

The straight edge needs serious work, it is jagged and wouldn't cut wet bread never mind a nylon rope. I am looking for a simple and cheap way to sharpen it. Would a Gerber Ceramic sharpener be enough or should I look for something else ?

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Hi guys,

I am not a regular on here although I joined some years ago. There is lots of information on knife sharpening and I know the basics but I have a specific problem I hope you can help with.

I am a frequent diver and I carry a knife which only rarely gets used for cutting rope and line, thankfully never been called upon in emergency desptite 23 years of diving.

A dive knife is a big compromise, it can be as much about the scabbard as the knife. I have an Underwater Kinetics Blue Tang blunt tip made from 420 SS, I've had it for about 15 years. It has a straight edge that was never very sharp, a serated one that is good for ropes but is getting blunt and a line cutter that is not great either anymore.

The straight edge needs serious work, it is jagged and wouldn't cut wet bread never mind a nylon rope. I am looking for a simple and cheap way to sharpen it. Would a Gerber Ceramic sharpener be enough or should I look for something else ?

If it's that far gone, I'd get a pro to put an edge on it. Heinnie will do it for around £15 IIRC. It'll save you making it worse through inexperience.

After that, spend £20 on a ceramic to maintain it. Once you get into sharpening, you quickly pick up the skill, and it becomes quite enjoyable putting a hair shaving edge on.

Good luck.

Jan 11, 2007
earth
Yes it is pretty bad so probably not worth a lot of investment but I don't want to throw it away for the sake of an hour with the right tool. It is a fairly thick blade so not an ideal shape for a really good edge. It is a dive knife so I am not expecting to be able to shave with it.

I might give the Smith's Pocket Pal a go since it gives me a few options, unless this is a bad choice.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
This wont help if your knives get really blunt, but I've not taken my sharpening stone (an older >good< ;) DC4) out of it's pouch since I discovered what can be achieved with autosol and a strop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE